Has anybody ever cast Armidillo?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

Them suckers are wrecking my lawn. We shoot a couple of dozen every week. I think it would make an interesting pen blank but they are rumored to be carriers for leprocy.

Anybody ever cast one? If they do carry leprocy, will rubber gloves protect you?

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

truckfixr

Yes, armadillos have been found to carry leprosy. However, there are no cases of humans getting it from them.

By the way. Fried armadillo is delicious.

PenMan1

Yes, armadillos have been found to carry leprosy. However, there are no cases of humans getting it from them.

By the way. Fried armadillo is delicious.

You can cook it and I'll try to watch you eat it without barfing on you. Those are some nasty critters.

Apparently, it wasn't HOT ENOUGH OR HUMID ENOUNGH for armidilllo to thrive in Texas. They LOVE south Georgia!

PenMan1

I want to cast some of them.... But the guy who processes my deer meat won't even talk to me about skinning them and cleaning them. I ain't touching them nasty MOFOs!

I shot one in the side with a .357 magnum pistol...He yelped..Jumped about 3 feet in the air and ran away. I can kill'em with a .22 and a night scope by shooting them in the head. No Joke....it looks like a mini "buffalo herd" around here at night!

Last edited:

truckfixr

They go ape-s**t when you shoot them in the head, don't they? I've had them do somersaults about four feet in the air.

I've gotta admit, we seldom see more than one or two at a time around here. I've never seen a herd of them.

To tell you the truth, they probably wouldn't work well for casting pens. Their shell is quite a bit thicker than a snakeskin.

Grizz

Banned
This is the 21st Century. A number of different antibiotics are used to kill the bacteria that cause Leprosy. Once treated it's impossible to 'get it.'

I'd be interested in seeing the 'dillo' blank.

I'd be interested in seeing a Porcupine blank too.

desertrat

I would really like a few tails if you would be willing to cut them off. The bone structure makes one of the most unique knife handles you ever saw. Cut them off and seal in a empty paint can and ship. I will pay shipping and a few bucks for your time. PM me if you are interested.

desertrat

jskeen

Well, it is true that nine banded armadillo's can carry the bacteria that causes Hansens Disease. No cases of transmission from animal to human have ever been documented. In fact is is extremly rare for humans to transmit it from one to another. The bactirium is very weak, and is easily erradicated by the immune system of 95% of normal humans. The 5 percent who are succeptable to the bacterium in theory can usually only be infected by prolonged direct exposure to an active carrier.

As for the skin, the thick carapace is very difficult to preserve properly and is so thick that even if properly dried, it would be very difficult to wrap around a tube and cast. The thinner skin of the legs, neck and head can be tanned and probably cast, but is really freakin hard to remove in large pieces. DAMHIKT

PenMan1

As for the skin, the thick carapace is very difficult to preserve properly and is so thick that even if properly dried, it would be very difficult to wrap around a tube and cast. The thinner skin of the legs, neck and head can be tanned and probably cast, but is really freakin hard to remove in large pieces. DAMHIKT

I KNEW IT! Use all the fancy words you want, but....I can telll... You are a road kill "lurker" too. I'm gonna cast me one of them nasty suckers!

jskeen

No, no, no. I never pick up roadkill (except for snakes) and them only if it's really fresh (like I either run over it myself or see it happen). Once the body cools it is almost impossible to uncurl the backbone and shell to get to the thinner skin on the bottomside. I headshot them and started skinning as soon as they quit turning backflips. Even at that, it was hard to get a piece of skin big enough to do the insert in a knife sheath with, but not impossible. :)

I KNEW IT! Use all the fancy words you want, but....I can telll... You are a road kill "lurker" too. I'm gonna cast me one of them nasty suckers!

workinforwood

I would really like a few tails if you would be willing to cut them off. The bone structure makes one of the most unique knife handles you ever saw. Cut them off and seal in a empty paint can and ship. I will pay shipping and a few bucks for your time. PM me if you are interested.

desertrat

If I knew that a few days ago, I could have shipped you a possum tail! I don't think an armadillo is 1% as nasty looking as a possum. I won't go near that possum now of course..he's out back in the weeds feeding the birds.

bitshird

Andy, I've made watchy fobs out of Dillo front legs, cut the insides out, cured the outer hide, and a small portion of the meat in salt for about 6 months, made a silver cap and set Turquoise around the band. But I don't see how in the heck you could cast much of an armadillo, unless you did it like RAdams did ssome Ivory blanks he sent animefan.

Top Bottom