Heh... Don't bother...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DurocShark

I've been trying different additives to PR to get the resin to clump in different patterns. Most things do nothing. But if you add "webbing solution" in the listed gelcoat ratio, the stuff never hardens. You get a nice rubbery blank instead.

Great for splatter paint, not so much for pen blanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bobalu

Hmm... I wonder what a 36" x 1/2" rod of rubbery stuff would be like.

BRB

;)

Don't write it off yet. You may have just hit on to the next new fad in kids's toys or a commercial product, but haven't realized it yet. Just experiment with it and see what it will do. Maybe it will walk down stairs, shot streams of water a 100 feet into the air, or transfer comic images from the newpapers that you can stretch and distort. Maybe it will harden in the vacuum of space and be used to plug holes in the space shuttle. You just never know.

atomic ray

What sort of effect were you looking for?

I use webbing all the time for decks of boats...it is that off color ribbon that spider webs across the deck, color break and camouflage.

But there are tricks to using webbing, first and foremost is that if you use too much webbing it will be rubbery and peel.

And that the webbing mus be applied to a "hot" surface...or before the gelcoat (resin + color pigment + wax) cures...if not it will not cure properly.

If I read your comment correctly then you are trying different elements to create suspension? A way to "hang" the media within the resin pour/mold...have you tried playing with the cure times?

For example pouring a base color (let us say translucent blue) with 3-5 drops of MEKP and then following up with an intended ribbon/swirl of color (pearl white) with 6-7 drops of MEKP...the cooler blue should grab the hotter white as it makes contact...then a quick needle or toothpick through the two resins for a swirl or wave.

The hot white will create a faster cure with the blue it touches due to the increased MEKP and should hold the position you intend.

:bananen_smilies051:

Raymond

DurocShark

We profit greatly by out mistakes.

A wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Not as much as U.S. Composites profits from my mistakes. :)
:rotfl:

Hey, waaaaaiiiiiit.

:frown:

:wink:

Raymond, I'm just playing with different chemicals and ideas. Mad scientist style. Seeing what else I can make my resin do. Since the webbing (which I've used before for decking as well) cost money, I thought I'd share. That's all.

BTW: I got the stuff to harden up with a few post cures. But it completely separated from the PR without the webbing and floated to the top. So there's still potential.

Grim Spirit

We profit greatly by out mistakes.

A wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

"Human Beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams.

:biggrin:

atomic ray

Now you could use the webbing to make "nets" or web masses by spraying at a distance (3' usually works for me) on a sheet of glass...let cure, and it will be flexible, cut/lay/wrap the webbing to create a cactus skeleton-like structure that you could then pour resin to fill the voids.

:bananen_smilies046:

Raymond

PS
"You live and you learn, well at least you live"-Douglas Adams

Last edited:
Top Bottom