Got scraps?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from David Keller

David Keller

Like many of you, I see to have a hard time throwing away little pieces of scrap. With limited shop time recently, I decided to try and make something with them. Comments and criticism are always appreciated.

mini-HFs-1.jpg
From left to right: Buckeye burl with lignum vitae finial, Honduran rosewood burl sapwood, Amboyna burl, Olive burl, and Spalted maple burl with desert ironwood finial.

mini-HFs-2.jpg
US quarter

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

witz1976

WOW those are tiny! But they look excellent, I would love to successfully turn something that small....it usually breaks up or gets thrown and broken for me:redface::frown:

robutacion

Hi David,

Then didn't look that small until you put the "US quarter" next to them, those are tinny and maybe better named as "miniatures"...!

Definitely, great shapes and finishes, those aren't as easy to make as they may look but effective, particularly if you show them in the good quality/clear pics as yours are but without anything to compare sizes with, they would foul anyone...!:wink: (when it comes to size, obviously...!)

Any pics of the Aussie stuff...???

PS: Now I understand what you meant with "small blanks..!":eek:

Cheers
George

David Keller

Thanks to all for the kind comments. I had a lot of fun making these, and I can see myself doing some more in the near future... time permitting.

...Any pics of the Aussie stuff...???

PS: Now I understand what you meant with "small blanks..!":eek:

Cheers
George

Thanks, George. I haven't completed any of the forms from the gorgeous wood you sent, but I'm getting close with the she-oak blank... I just need to figure out what style of finial to put on it. It's killer looking wood.

What did you use as a hollowing tool?

I used a variety of things to hollow these, but they're all homemade. For the center part of the forms, I use a drill bit hollowing tool that I copied from a guy named Jeff Nicol. There's a youtube video of him using the tool... I think if you search for 'wooden nicol' you'll come up with his site. He's a good guy, and there are several good videos on his page. He also makes a really nice steady rest among other things if you're in the market.

The other tools I use are modified allen wrenches. I just grind a scraper profile on the short end, and that's what I use to get into the shoulders of the form. I've got some in homemade handles, but a lot of them I just hold in a jacobs chuck. There's not a lot of torque on a two inch hollow form.

Thanks again to everybody who commented.

phillywood

David, those are beautiful work of art. and you did very nice job making them that small.
Nice finish and shape. And, very nice work on your homemade tools, if you can make them out what you already hae why not?

Top Bottom