Where I started in wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Seer

Seer

LOML bought me a scrollsaw at a yard sale and I used it to make quite a few things and ended up one day cutting out blanks for spoons, after that it went to pens and I lost touch with the spoons I was making and last weekend I found some that I had cut 2 yrs ago and finshed them just to do something different for a change again. I used my lathe to try and turn the handles on 2 of them and I think they came out good on the 2 long handle ones, the shorter one I used a belt sander and hand palm sander to smooth them out and to also round the backsides of the the 2 others and also the scrapers. They were all soaked in mineral oil laying in the sun. The bowls on the spoons were carved out using a dremel with the long attachment, not perfect but then if you want perfect by the mass produced ones from overseas I feel.

Attachments

• Black Walnut Spatula 1a.jpg
    Black Walnut Spatula 1a.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 156
  • Cherry Spatula 1a.jpg
    Cherry Spatula 1a.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 137
  • Cherry Spoon Long 1a.jpg
    Cherry Spoon Long 1a.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 169
  • Cherry Spoon Long 2a.jpg
    Cherry Spoon Long 2a.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 138
  • Cherry Spoon Short 1a.jpg
    Cherry Spoon Short 1a.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 145
  • Black Walnut Spatula 2a.jpg
    Black Walnut Spatula 2a.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 160
  • Beech Scrapers 1n 2 b.jpg
    Beech Scrapers 1n 2 b.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 174
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Seer

Tha last one is a small scraper to help roll food over off the bottom of the pan. Works great for ground beef and the like.

KenBrasier

Those look great, I've been wanting to try and make some spoons etc.

What type of wood works best for making these?

bensoelberg

The first,second and last two look like what teachers use to you in my day. By the way good job.

How much trouble do you think I would get in if I made one and put it on the wall behind my desk? I could just say that it was a spatula and that I wanted to show off some of my woodworking...

Russianwolf

Much better than my humble beginnings in woodworking.... nailed two 2x4's together to make an airplane (didn't fly far but construction time was less than a minute).

My mom wants me to make some similar to the first pic. An 80 year old woodworker made some and she got a hold of them, he passed away a while back and she wants me to make them now.

Seer

Those first ones all have a small curve to them as well they are not a flat piece just cut in that shape I cut them on the bandsaw and then sanded them to save wear and tear on my sander.. Rob I can email you my template if you want.

Top Bottom