Freestyle Pen Contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

No PM required . Get your collective butts in your shops and come up with something better than has been posted already . You need something that will WOW the membership .

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

Guys just remember this is the Freestyle Pen making contest not a freeforall slugfest . We are supposed to post the Best Freestyle pen we can make , don't just stand on your past accomplishments ( no matter how small they were ) go and think up a new style or make that killer blank you always wanted to try . James has the right idea , make a really nice blank and stay out of the line of seltzer fire from the clowns .

ldb2000

Well Chris , whatever works for you , although the contest ends before that so ....
I've gone back to a design that was really cool but too much work to be sellable . I just want to see that sponge wrung out , I hate sponge bob , really dumb cartoon .

workinforwood

WHAT !!! Didn't you see the episode where squidwards toilet was begging for mercy from Patricks use??? That's the best!:laugh::laugh::laugh:
I've made some new pens, but seriously I made those two pens specifically for this contest and they were a lot of work. Then I found out this contest didn't exist from Cav. Then it did exist. I never would have posted them in the open forum otherwise. I don't expect to win, just putting my hard work out there because it's equally worthy to anything else. There's so many great people with great pens, I don't know why they don't throw them into the hat.

ldb2000

WHAT !!! Didn't you see the episode where squidwards toilet was begging for mercy from Patricks use??? That's the best!:laugh::laugh::laugh:
I've made some new pens, but seriously I made those two pens specifically for this contest and they were a lot of work. Then I found out this contest didn't exist from Cav. Then it did exist. I never would have posted them in the open forum otherwise. I don't expect to win, just putting my hard work out there because it's equally worthy to anything else. There's so many great people with great pens, I don't know why they don't throw them into the hat.

I had to endure endless episodes of sponge bob with my kids a few years ago , I still can't walk down the kitchen supply isle in the local supermarket without a serious case of post traumatic stress when I get to the sponges .
I'm surprised you don't expect to win with the soggy sponge , everyone else does .
I really am surprised that we haven't heard from several people who should be posting a pen or two here , maybe they are waiting till all the silliness calms down

jttheclockman

When you say freestyle, does it have to be a completly made pen or can you use a kit and just make the blank??? This looks like this went all different directions. More bashing than pen making.

davinci27

Any pen will do. Freestyle is just that. It only has to be a pen. To give you a little added motivation, there is a prize for the best Kit pen. That prize will be awarded to the best pen that uses an unmodified kit, and is completely independent of first prize, or second prize. You could win both first prize and the best kit pen prize In actuality you could win up to 4 prizes: best kit pen, (1st, 2nd or almost made it), best trash talker and random voter. There are still 2 prize packages that I haven't figured out what to do with yet. So your chances to win could only go up.

jttheclockman

To Be or Knot To Be

OK then. This is actually a twofold entry but let the chips fall where they may. This is my attempt at the famous KNOT. The yellowheart is a Sierra Vista with yellowheart as the main body and has a combo-yellowheart, redheart, holly and black veneer knot. Both are top coated with 5 coats of CA and polished.

The redheart is a sierra with redheart as the main body and has a combo-- redheart, yellowheart, holly and black veneer knot.

The knots were cut at 60 degrees and it is a 4 cut knot. Thanks for looking.

yellowheartsierra-1.jpg

reheartsierra-1.jpg

comboknots-1.jpg

I have been asked if the design goes all around the pen and the answer is here.

-animated-pen-knot-good-file.gif

Last edited:

Marleb

Here's mine

Never shown here so it should qualify,

Laminated wood with Ebony centerband and base.
Finish is 5 coats of WB laquer.

Attachments

• In Flight_1.jpg
    In Flight_1.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 189
  • In Flight_2.jpg
    In Flight_2.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 171

pssherman

OK, I can't win a prize if I don't enter, so here are my 2 entries.

pen1_pic1.jpgpen1_pic2.jpg
Entry #1; Rhodium and black titanium Majestic fountain pen made with honey locust. I chose to use this wood since it has some figure to it but does not draw undue attention to it.

pen2_pic1.jpgpen2_pic2.jpg
Entry #2; Rhodium classic twist pen made with maple burl.

Now that I have entered, let the fun begin.
Being the oldest of 10 children and having taught college students for over 20 years, there ain't nothin you can say/write that will phase me. But give it your best shot anyway. You know you want to.

So, let's see what kind of infantile responses can be posted from all of you pre-pubescent children. Yea, you know who you are. Being the nice guy that I am, I won't mention names (there are too many anyway) or bash your pens (at least for now). Maybe later, we'll see.

You can't get under my skin and you know it, but I double-dog-dare-you to try. Wimps.

workinforwood

Great...now we have a washed out teacher displaying washed out photographs of wanna-be big dog pens. Just so you know, none of us are pre-pubescent, but Roy is post-pubescent! His wife is sending me one of his pens to install a life-lock button in the end.

Last edited:

pssherman

Jeff,
Based on the comments I have seen here, I figured just about everyone here is pre-pubescent. Or if not in actual age, then surely in their intelligence and thinking capacity.

OKLAHOMAN

Just to make Russell happy here is a pen I made today, a few months ago Jeff sent me some scroll cut outs that he glued to a piece of plywood and made a box around it for me to pour some PR around and make some blanks, we called these Picaso's revenge. This is a take off on that called Lots-a-worthless-wood-scraps.
Go ahead and bash to your hearts content...

IMG_1261-1.jpg

IMG_1262-1.jpg

PenAffair

Thanks Roy, glad you finally figured out the rules :biggrin:

I think I'll take a sabatical from the "compliments" for a while though, so we don;t scare off people actually wanting to put pens in :redface:

Russell.

Last edited:

hewunch

OK Here is my entry This pen is made to look like a stained glass window in a brick wall. It has over 275 pieces of wood including Sapele, Walnut, Spanish Cedar and more. The window is only on 1 side.
fair2.jpg

fair1b.jpg

Last edited:

OKLAHOMAN

I agree, funs over time to see some outstanding work. Russell it's ROY hope you don't mind me changing it. Good luck to all and lets save all zingers for the last day.

Thank you

Thanks Ron ROY , glad you finally figured out the rules :biggrin:
I think I'll take a sabatical from the "compliments" for a while though, so we don;t scare off people actually wanting to put pens in :redface:

Russell.

BigShed

After all that I enter the room with some trepidation!:)

Anyway Butch, ldb2000, suggested in another thread that I enter this pen in this contest.

Don't quite know why, it is neither free, nor does it have style:wink:, but here goes anyway.

Consider it entered (sorry Skippy, couldn't find any stainless cartridges or bullets!)

20090218_011_small.jpg

2000220_011_small.jpg

Last edited:

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Geez! For awhile I didn't know if this was a real PEN contest or another kind . . . "family site and all."
Now I think I can post my entry.
1_Rotner_13_-_Sierra.jpg

1_Rotner_13b_Sierra.jpg

Marleb

What goes around comes around

Hey Jeff,

Sorry to say I was a member of this board before you made your first pen: I just wasn't very active, mostly lurking.

As a matter of fact I was a member of all three boards we have met in before you joined them.

I noticed you entered a very nice "Sponge Bob" pen holder, but your pen (that is what he is holding, right?) is only showing a bunch of "digs" (at least that's what I call them on mine, when I'm a little too agressive in turning) I thought this was a pen contest, not a best PEN-HOLDER contest. Guess I'll just have have to recheck the rules.

Hey, we have a new member..It's Marcel! Long time no see. I'm not going to take it easy on you in this room. This thread is about who has the best pen, not the best hose stretcher!

davinci27

I noticed you entered a very nice "Sponge Bob" pen holder, but your pen (that is what he is holding, right?) is only showing a bunch of "digs" (at least that's what I call them on mine, when I'm a little too agressive in turning) I thought this was a pen contest, not a best PEN-HOLDER contest. Guess I'll just have have to recheck the rules.

In all the trash talk I was sure somebody was going to mention that. I can't believe it didn't come up till post #231.

davinci27

Fred, you need 2 pictures of the pen to enter. please post another picture so yours will be in the running

After all that I enter the room with some trepidation!:)

Anyway Butch, ldb2000, suggested in another thread that I enter this pen in this contest.

Don't quite know why, it is neither free, nor does it have style:wink:, but here goes anyway.

Consider it entered (sorry Skippy, couldn't find any stainless cartridges or bullets!)

1_20090218_011_small.jpg

tim self

Modified Designer

I know there are much nicer pens here, BUT I cant talk smack unless I put something for you to pick on.

Attachments

• antlernew.jpg
    antlernew.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 186
  • 100_0871.jpg
    100_0871.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Tim that looks like it has been laying on the ground of a building site for over a month. You might have cleaned the dirt off first:mad:

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I'm off to attend a wedding tomorrow, so this may be my last chance to post before the contest ends.

Two pens, two views each.

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Attachments

• _DSC0458.jpg
    _DSC0458.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 303
  • _DSC0459.jpg
    _DSC0459.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 312