First Stoppers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dave_M

Dave_M

My first attempt at turning stoppers. Amboyna and Buckeye burl stoppers. I haven't applied a finish to these... yet. I like the look and feel of the natural wood, but considering they could be used around food products I'm wondering if it would be better to seal the wood with a finish. If you have any thoughts on that subject, I would really appreciate the input.

Thanks,
Dave

1_IMG_800x600.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

broitblat

Those are good looking stoppers. I like the way the shapes flow.

I do recommend a finish, however, to protect the wood from the wine.

-Barry

turbowagon

I use deft spray lacquer on mine.... about 8 light coats (15-30 minute drying time in between coats). Wait a week for curing, then light buffing to get rid of the "orange peel" texture.

Here is a convenient way to finish them.... 2x4 ripped in half, with dowels glued in.

IMG_6421.jpg

Nice looking stoppers, by the way!

Last edited:

HawksFeather

Good looking stoppers. I too would finish them. The exception would be if I wanted to keep them for my own use so that I would know that they would not get wet from the wine or water when rinsing the stopper. Then too, if you keep them you can always re-sand or re-buff them if there is a problem.

Jerry

akbar24601

Those are nice looking stoppers. I do agree though that you should put some form of finish on them. Even something as simple as a friction polish will give them a little more wear time.

Dave_M

Thanks for all the input. I think the best thing to do is apply a finish to them. I've been using Behlen's Qualalacq Lacquer on my projects. It dries quick, provides a rock hard glossy finish, and it's highly resistant to alcohol.

Even though I haven't applied a finish to these, they've already been sold. On top of that I've had requests for more stoppers. There is a somewhat new high end wine maker that will be opening a tasting room and starting a wine tasting club that is interested in my stoppers. Now I have to figure out what they should sell for.

Thanks again,
Dave

Top Bottom