First (mostly) Successful Dish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DurocShark

DurocShark

Walnut and alabaster.

It started out with alabaster glued to the rim of the bowl (and much taller!) but the alabaster blew out, taking a chunk of walnut with it. So it's a bit short. The opening is about 4" across. Crappy spray poly finish.

I made this for my wife... She makes her own toothpaste and has been using baby jars to keep it in. I wanted her to have something nicer...

walaladish01.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DurocShark

Forgot the open pic. Couldn't get an angle on something that big in my silo, so it's a bit out of focus. I'll work on better pics later if I get a roundtoit.

walaladish02.jpg

DurocShark

Thanks guys.

I was nervous... I made the lid a kind of sloppy fit, hoping the finish would fill the difference. I figured with my luck I'd either make the finish too thick for the parts to fit, or so thin it flops around. Happily I got lucky! :D

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Nice project, will be interesting to see how the finish holds up to long term contact with the toothpaste. Out of curiosity why make her own toothpaste?

DurocShark

She doesn't like all the chemicals and crap in toothpaste, not least fluoride. (There's a bill in England to outlaw fluoride treatment of water due to "dubious" health claims.)

It's pretty straightforward. Baking soda, salt, water, and peppermint oil. She said her teeth have never felt cleaner.

I dunno, I like my Aquafresh Extreme Clean. :wink:

As for durability, it's not as harsh as my toothpaste. The inside of the bowl has 10 coats of poly. The outside and the lid just have 3 each. I think the wood itself would work fine without the finish except for the fact that I made the bottom VERY thin.

Craftdiggity

Thanks guys.

I was nervous... I made the lid a kind of sloppy fit, hoping the finish would fill the difference. I figured with my luck I'd either make the finish too thick for the parts to fit, or so thin it flops around. Happily I got lucky! :D

If the finish doesn't do the trick, you can build up the fit with CA. I would carefully wipe on a couple of coats around the tenon on the lid until it fits snug. You can sand it and polish it up as well.

ctubbs

Beautiful box/bowl Don. What a great gift for your bride to help her with her health. About the Fluoride, I have been talking about that for the past 20 odd years since I worked in a plant that makes Hydrofluoric acid. There we were taught just what Fl does when it gets on or in a person. The Fl replaces the calcium in the body. If it gets to the heart in concentration, it will cause the heart to stop. If it reaches the bones, it will replace the calcium in the bones causing brittle bones that break much more easily. Whenever possible, I even carry my own water from our well to avoid city water. The claims for the benefits of Fl in drinking water have never been proven and are even thought to possibly be harmful. This is in no way intended to start a political discussion, just to reinforce what your bride feels is correct. Never ever tell your wife that she is wrong. That is unless your couch in very, VERY comfortable. My $0.02 for today on this. That is still a beautiful box.
Charles

Top Bottom