Finishing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I am finishing a redwood burl blank with thin ca and aerosol acceletator. After a few coats I noticed some hazy white places which I have had with other wood blanks. I had to sand the finish off and start over. Started again and they are back ? Just before that blank (different wood) I finished another wood blank the same way with no problems ??

Any suggestions.....Thanks Al

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

Have you removed all the sanding dust from the blank before you use the CA? Are you sure your blank is really dry? If you wet sanded the blank, it may have retained some moisture. That will give those white areas. Clean the blank with accelerator or acetone before applying the finish. Some use DNA for this but it tends to collect moisture from the air and can leave traces in the blank, so I have been told. Also be sure the previous coat is set before applying the next one. Sometimes moisture can be trapped between coats when conditions are just right (wrong?). Hope this can be of some help. Please DAMHIKT.
Charles

nativewooder

Well, it only takes thin CA a few seconds to dry. Why do you use "accelerator"? I used to use "accelerator" until I decided that I had enough time to let the CA dry without any help. If it took an extra 10 or 15 seconds, I would just take an extra breath!:biggrin:

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
Could it be that the blanks are not completely dry? I found that any moisture in the blank causes the reoccuring blush. Once I was doing a demo and forgot to take the accelerator. I remembered that moisture also promotes drying so I stopped the lathe and got real close and breathed on the newly applied CA and the whole doggone thing fogged up. I explained that this is a demo of how to fowl up a finish.
WB

toyotaman

Some wood has natural "oil" in it which will cause it to turn milky looking. Use "Acetone" to wipe down the blank and that should solve your problem.

Top Bottom