Finishing deer antler

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

homemade

I just wanted to share something with you on turning antler. When I first started turning antler, I used CA for a finish. The other day I had to turn a slimline and doing so I went down into the porous area that required a sealer. I have a Myland sampler kit that I used on occasion. This day, I decided to use the sand and sealer and the friction polish. The sand and sealer worked as expected, but the friction polish surprised me. When turning into bone the yellow tarnished weather look simply disappears. Not in this case. Not only did it polish up the bone, but the more friction I applied, I noticed it to start to turn a burnt tarnished look in areas. In essence it produced an antique ivory look. The more friction polish and the harder I buffed it the more pronounced it got. So, I was able to adjust the look to the finish I desired. I will no longer use CA on bone again after the results that I got from this experience. On another note. If you have ever or will do a secret compartment key chain, throw the little O-ring away and replace it with a #6 O-ring. It not only seals the compartment but secures the top prevent it from becoming loose and falling off. You can get these O-rings at HD or Lowes in the faucet repair section. They come 10 to the container.

Top Bottom