Finally Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bitshird

bitshird

I ran out of stock to make tools and my poor old Jet metal lathe went down last Thursday, So I got to make some pens instead of tools, (not complaining mind you, please keep using them) any way here are a few I got to make, First is a Jr Statesman 22kt/Rhodium Poster from CSUSA dressed with Amboyna Burl from Nolan Harris this is for my Tax Lady whom I love dearly Straight CA finish 5 coats of thin and 3 of medium, wet sanded to 1000 and buffed, turned with a Woodchuck Model A
Amboyna-Statesman.jpg

Next is a Jr Gentleman from CSUSA and some nice wood, I think it also came from Nolan I believe it was Brown Malle Burl, but I started it so long ago I forgot This one is finished with Mr. William Young's method of BLO/CA, Sorry it's not up to his standards

Brn-Malle-Jr-Gent.jpg

Next is an Elegant Beauty Gold Titanium from The Golden Nib, dressed with some Rose Myrtle from JohnM I think, it too was turned with an amazing Woodchuck Carbide scraper [size=-2]shameless commercial advertisement[/size] finished in traditional many coats of bottled plasticky eye burning liquid stuff, wet sanded and buffed.
EB rose Myrtle.jpg

Comments welcome,
Keith "VIZXP" just don't make me cry again, I'm very fragile :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Ken , your usual beauties have amazed me again . Glad you remembered your roots ! You always bring the best out of a blank . Nice work !

bitshird

You make pens, too?!
Chris I was beginning to wonder, I've never liked the way gears sound when they quit meshing especially on my own equipment until last week, Gears got here this afternoon but I was too busy playing with my new Barracuda chuck to be bothered,

Ken , your usual beauties have amazed me again . Glad you remembered your roots ! You always bring the best out of a blank . Nice work !
Thanks Chuck, Having the good blanks helps too. I just wish I could get a finish like William Young's.

el_d

Ken are these completly Woodchuck???

No other tool while turning? I do like the tool and am waiting for some extra money to play with. Im diggin the "Chuck" would like to try some blue lapiz with it, kinda tired of re-sharpening every 3 seconds.

bitshird

Nice...I think Mr. Young would be proud!

I just can't get the shine that he gets, or that I can get with straight CA, I must be doing something wrong

Ken are these completly Woodchuck???
No other tool while turning? I do like the tool and am waiting for some extra money to play with. Im diggin the "Chuck" would like to try some blue lapiz with it, kinda tired of re-sharpening every 3 seconds.

Hi Lupe, that's all I've been using since I made the first one. I'm making a shorter one for demoing at a show next week, I can't bring in a bunch of equipment so I'm using the short one to square my ends with, and it's still long enough to do pens with. I did the Brown Malle that way, and a few more last night. I made a flat aluminum pad and put the shank of it in my tail stock to finish squaring up the blanks since I cant bring in my disk sander.

Great looking pens, fit and finish look outstanding. When you sell your pens at a show, do you sell them as "Leapwood Pens"?
Hi Jeff Yup. I'm trying to get the brand name recognized, My buisness cards read
Leapwood Pens
Hand Crafted
Writing Instruments
Ken Ferrell​

Top Bottom