Drilling a pepper mill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from InvisibleMan

InvisibleMan

So how long should it take to drill a 7" pepper mill body? I'm in the middle of drilling my first one. This is my first time using forstner bits, so wasn't sure what to expect. I'm not sure I like it.

Drilling on the lathe at 500 RPM (slowest mine goes). I'm going very slow and extracting the bit fairly often to eject dust and chip buildup. The bit and wood get VERY hot VERY fast, so I've given it a good break from time-to-time, cutting pen blanks to kill time. I think I see smoke inside the hole:eek:.

Is this normal? Should I set aside a few hours to drill one of these things? Is the heat buildup not such a big deal with these things? My jacobs chuck even got hot! This is red palm by the way.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I can send you a tutorial (free) if you PM me your email address (offer open to all).

It will advise you to turn your blank round, first, then drill using a scroll chuck to hold in place.

To answer your question--drilling red palm IS going to take a while and, yes it WILL get HOT!! If you sharpen the bit before you start, it will take a LITTLE less time, but smoke is unavoidable, I think.

Sounds like it will be a good looking mill---don't forget pictures when you are finished!!!

InvisibleMan

I can send you a tutorial (free) if you PM me your email address (offer open to all).

It will advise you to turn your blank round, first, then drill using a scroll chuck to hold in place.

To answer your question--drilling red palm IS going to take a while and, yes it WILL get HOT!! If you sharpen the bit before you start, it will take a LITTLE less time, but smoke is unavoidable, I think.

Sounds like it will be a good looking mill---don't forget pictures when you are finished!!!

Thanks, Ed. You actually sent me the tutorial a while back and I did turn it round first:). After posting, I saw a thread about red palm pen blanks being a bear. I guess I just picked a challenge for my first mill:turtle:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Bad news: Drilling a deep hole takes time and makes the bit hot, no matter what type of wood.

Worse news: Palm is really tough!!

Sharp bit helps, but you are still drilling into the end grain--it will fight back!!

broitblat

The drilling step usually takes considerably longer than all the other steps combined...

I have a carbide bit the speeds it up a little, but not by much.

-Barry

aplpickr

If you have compressed air, keep a continuos stream of air blowing on the exit hole at the shaft of the drill. I use a pistol grip gun with a 3" snout from harbor freight. This keeps the chaff out and cools the drill bit. Be careful, don't get too close without the proper gun. I use this method any time that I drill on the lathe. Pen blanks also, it keeps them from overheating and splitting from steam pressure caused by moisture or oily wood.

You can use a few bits to do it since the the work piece and the bit will be fixed by the lathe(will not move so the bit will travel proper with out the middle tip in any wood).Start with a 1" and go up this should make thing ten times faster.Good Luck,Victor

So how long should it take to drill a 7" pepper mill body? I'm in the middle of drilling my first one. This is my first time using forstner bits, so wasn't sure what to expect. I'm not sure I like it.

Drilling on the lathe at 500 RPM (slowest mine goes). I'm going very slow and extracting the bit fairly often to eject dust and chip buildup. The bit and wood get VERY hot VERY fast, so I've given it a good break from time-to-time, cutting pen blanks to kill time. I think I see smoke inside the hole:eek:.

Is this normal? Should I set aside a few hours to drill one of these things? Is the heat buildup not such a big deal with these things? My jacobs chuck even got hot! This is red palm by the way.

I drill all of my pepper mills at 450 rpm... most of my PM's are about 10" to 12" in height... the body usually in the 8-10 inch range... drilling with a sharp bit usually takes about 30 minutes start to finish... I cheat a step though and only drill with two of the 3 bits the directions calls for... I recently did a couple that were over 13 inches high...
I don't use the 1 1/16 inch bit... I drill all the way through with the with the 1 9/16 inch bit... also cut a short tenon in the cap piece to fit down inside the body... I think it makes the mill more stable.

If your bits are a bit dull (sorry for the pun) you will definitely get a little smoke and depending on what wood you are using... if you're using some of the exotics that are denser and more oily than some of the domestic woods, you'll get some smoke... if you get too hot, you'll get embers... :eek::eek: DAMHIKT...

Last edited:
Top Bottom