Drill bit sets

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

aggromere

I currently operate with a hodge podge of different drill bits, mostly purchased along with the kit. Many are the brad point and I have a lot of the regular looking bits as well. I prefer them to the brad point. I always drill a center hole and possibly an additional undersized hole before I use the big drill called for in the kit.

I see some sets on the internet saying they have all the letter and all the numbers and 1/16 by 1/16 to 1/2 inch. Will there be some metric equivilants in the set that I can use to replace stuff like the 8mm, 10mm, 12.5mm and others with the letters and number bits they all look like the are 115 piece sets and range from price to maybe 60 to 100 dollars. What is the difference between hhs, titanium coated and solid titanium, etc., or just maybe a suggestion of a good set to buy. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mach9

I just ran into this today turning my first Triton. Needed a 12.5mm which works out to .492. From my fractional set, I had a 31/64" which is .484, and a 1/2", which .500. One too big, one too small. I did luck up and find a 1/2" at my brothers shop that drilled a little small. But that's one metric at least, that you really need.

ldb2000

I use the Ti coated 115 pc set from HF . While not the greatest set in the world , it was affordable and works well , and has held up to 3 years of abuse so far . In most cases there is some SAE , either fractional or letter , bit that will cover the Metric bits with no problems , but sometimes you have to sand a hole to get the right size , no biggie since it is only a couple of thousandths off . That 12.5 bit is one of the only ones that don't have a close equivalent so you will have to buy one of those .
I use this chart to find the right sizes http://content.penturners.org/misc/hutdrills.pdf

I've been looking at this very issue and have come to the conclusion that it works out better for me to order higher grade drill bits from the kit vendors as needed per kit instead of ordering a huge box of bits that I will never use the vast majority of.

Buying a 115 pc. bit set to get 20 that you'll actually use is like buying something you don't really need just because it's on sale.

ctubbs

Personal experience, I have found it much better to make the purchase of high quality bits from someone I trust. Some kit vendors offer high quality bits and then others do not. find the ones you can trust or make the counter man at Granger of McMaster-Carr your best friend. The difference is a couple of bucks to start, but a life time of torn, or egg shaped holes in the blanks or near perfect holes the right size. Quality tools cost more. Sometimes you even get what you pay for.
Charles

Dave Turner

I purchased the 25 piece HSS Bradpoint set from Rockler a few years ago when it was on sale. These are very sharp and maintain their edge nicely. Now that I'm turning pens, I've only had to supplement them with a few metric sizes and a few sizes larger than 1/2". One of my better purchases.

RHossack

I see some sets on the internet saying they have all the letter and all the numbers and 1/16 by 1/16 to 1/2 inch. Will there be some metric equivilants in the set that I can use to replace stuff like the 8mm, 10mm, 12.5mm and others with the letters and number bits they all look like the are 115 piece sets and range from price to maybe 60 to 100 dollars.
I use the TI coated HF 115 drill set and what I do for these odd ball sizes (I own enough drill bits already and don't want more).

I needed a 12.5mm so I used a 31/64" and then wrapped a piece of sandpaper around a dowel and reamed the hole to size and the tube would slip in.

Works great unless you desire to have more drill bits.

IPD_Mrs

We prefer the Norseman bits. The problem with brad points is once they get dull you toss them. We can sharpen the Norseman from 118 to 135 degrees and put a split point on them.

Top Bottom