Problem with new lathe?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WHartman

Has anyone had any issues with a Rikon lathe not turning on when its cold? I just picked up a new lathe [black friday sale at woodcraft] and it worked like a charm for the entire weekend.

We then had some very cold weather and now it does not turn on when its in the cold garage.... I bring it into the house and it turns right on. I have checked all of the electric connections, made sure nothing else was running that shares the same circuit.... very strange.

I am currently looking for a good [and cheap] heater for the garage but was just curious. I have not contacted Rikon yet, just interested if anyone else has had this problem.

Thanks.

Wade

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rherrell

Sounds like maybe the grease in it gets cold and the motor doesn't have enough "umph" to get it turning. I'm thinking that it will get better after you break it in a bit.

Polarys425

I've had the same lathe from Woodcraft for a couple weeks now, they sold it to me early at the black friday price. However, i've kept my shop warm (60F+), so i cant say if mine would exhibit the same behavior.

If you take your inside and plug it in right away, does it turn on ok? Or does it have time to warm up before you turn it on? If it turns right away without warm up time, i'd go back to the shop and check things again.

Finatic

I've had th 12" Rikon for 3 years now in an unheated garage here in Corrupticut:biggrin:. Never had a problem with cold. Just my feet. Give Rikon service a call. It may be the capacitor or switch. They have a great service dept. and are really fast in getting you answers and parts.
R

WHartman

Thanks for the replys guys...

I think I figured out the problem, and it has to do with my circuit in the garage. I plan on fixing in on my next day off and getting back to making woodchips.... :)

le_skieur

By the way, if it's too chilly in your shop, you may look for finishing problems on your pens...That hapens to me.

Top Bottom