Need jaw buying advice for Nova G3 chuck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bnoles

Thinking about adding jaws to my Nova G3 chuck which came with the 50mm jaws.

I am looking at the 25mm standard jaws

http://www.teknatool.com/products/Chuck_Accessories/25mm.htm

and the 25mm pin jaws.

http://www.teknatool.com/products/Chuck_Accessories/Pin.htm

Which would be more beneficial or should I just get both? What about their other jaws, would there be any others that are good to have on hand?

I also have the Axminster collet chuck with the 3 basic collets they have available. I have the Jet 1220 VS lathe and turn mainly smaller stuff in addition to pens. Not into 12"+ bowls and have doubts I ever will be.

Thanks for any good advice you can offer me.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nava1uni

I have both of the other jaws, as well as, the flat jaws, Ii think they are called cole jaws, for small bowl turning. I use them all for different projects.

cnirenberg

I've got that chuck and love it. I added the 25mm jaws and use it the round/drill all my pen blanks. It is very usefull for small boxes too.

robutacion

Thinking about adding jaws to my Nova G3 chuck which came with the 50mm jaws.

I am looking at the 25mm standard jaws

http://www.teknatool.com/products/Chuck_Accessories/25mm.htm

and the 25mm pin jaws.

http://www.teknatool.com/products/Chuck_Accessories/Pin.htm

Which would be more beneficial or should I just get both? What about their other jaws, would there be any others that are good to have on hand?

I also have the Axminster collet chuck with the 3 basic collets they have available. I have the Jet 1220 VS lathe and turn mainly smaller stuff in addition to pens. Not into 12"+ bowls and have doubts I ever will be.

Thanks for any good advice you can offer me.

Well, I have the same chuck and if you only can afford 2 jaw sets, I would go for the 25mm pin jaws and the NOVA 75mm (3") JAW SET, if you can afford 3 sets then you can get the two 25mm jaws set you mentioned and the one I suggest as it is a great accessory to have...!

Cheers
George

Dave Turner

I have the 25mm pin jaws on my SuperNova 2 and use them all the time. I cannot really see a need or advantage to getting the standard 25mm jaws in addition to the pin jaws. The extra length of the pin jaws is great for holding blanks straight for drilling.

The 25mm jaws will close down between 0.38 and 1.25 inches. I think the 35mm Spigot jaws (close down between 1.22 and 1.97 inches) would be great to have as these will cover the "between" sized pieces - those too big to fit the 25mm jaws and those too small for the standard 50mm jaws that come with the chuck (this closes down between 1.65 and 2.52 inches).

Please note that the 35mm spigot jaws are different than the 35mm bowel jaws. I mistakenly bought the bowel jaws and these close down between 0.39 and 1.22 inches, which is the same as my 25mm pin jaws.

bnoles

Thanks for the info Dave and especially the tip on the 35mm "spigot" jaws. I may just throw those in for good measure so I have a full range of coverage.

Padre

The pin jaws will allow you to do some drilling on the lathe.

KenV

I have a bunch of those and the PIN jaws are the cats meow for PENS and a lot of other things. I turn a short tenon on odd shaped pieces at the tailstock and reverse it into the pen jaws for good outcomes -- ornaments and ornament finials are one other use for the PIN version,

I use the stubby 25 mm jaws to hold into small recesses with the wood against the face of the jaws for solid mounting - a fat 1 inch hole will later hold a cup and magnet for a larger fridge magnet.

Top Bottom