Cutting thin strips...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Timbo

I've seen several jigs for cutting thin strips, but I think I like this one the best for cutting shorter lenghts that will be exactly the same thickness. Like all the other jigs, getting the 1st strip to the exact width you want will be trial and error, buy once set, you're golden.

Woodworkers Journal : Tablesaw Techniques : Rip Thin Strips Safely

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

John Pratt

There are several methods out there, but I always prefer to rip off the thin strips to the left of the blade. Pinching a thin strip between the sliding jig and the blade is a recipe for problems. If you do attempt this method, make darn sure you have all the guards, splitters/riving knives in place and dont stand directly behind the piece.

Timbo

I use this jig from Rockler and it work great and is safe.

Thin Rip Tablesaw Jig - Rockler Woodworking Tools

Most of the jigs I've seen are variants of the rockler jig. The problem with all of them is that you have to reset the fence to cut each additional strip. This requires fiddling with the fence to get a repeatable thickness. The rockler type jigs makes this easier, but you still have to fiddle. With the jig I posted there's no fiddling after the fence is set for the first strip.

Timbo

There are several methods out there, but I always prefer to rip off the thin strips to the left of the blade. Pinching a thin strip between the sliding jig and the blade is a recipe for problems. If you do attempt this method, make darn sure you have all the guards, splitters/riving knives in place and dont stand directly behind the piece.

We all should be using those safety features anyway...even if you're cutting strips to the left of the blade.:wink:

Top Bottom