Help with Home Made Carbide tool

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

grz5

I decided to take a break from casting my own blanks and make my own carbide tool. The dimensions are the same as the woodchuck pen pro (1/2" x 1/2" x 6") with a 2" tang. I didn't have any stainless steel on hand so I made it out of 6061 Aluminum.

I know that the material isn't as strong as steel but I figured that since its relatively short (smaller bending moment) that it would be fine. Am I wrong in this assumption or do you think I'm ok with using aluminum?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Haynie

I would suspect that the Aluminum would cause problems. You can use steel round stock if you have some around.

grz5

Are you thinking chatter & vibrations or the tool bending/warping in the event of a monumental catch? :p

Haynie

yes. 1/2 inch Aluminum is not very sturdy. Even at only 8 inches. I would also worry about the mounting screw stripping out with use.

grz5

the total length of the Al is 6in where 2in of the 6 is the tang. So only 4 inches is exposed but I see your point with the bolt stripping with extended use. Ah well looks like i'll have to go to the store to get some ss

bitshird

Having made a thousand or so tools, I would I would not be as concerned having the 1/2 inch 6061 bend , unless you were dumb enough to try and extend the entire length over the tool rest, which is really a bad idea.
I think you are going to find that
1 the bottom of the tool will get beaten up so badly by the edge of the tool rest that it will make turning a big problem
2 the threads holding the insert in place will strip out quite easily. and
3 if you do not have a dead flat bottom on the tool bar you will break the inserts while you tighten them, (I've seen this happen several times.)
There is a lot more than just grinding/filing a sort of flat spot to hold an insert, and tapping a hole, to be considered, such as the radius at the back of the insert pocket,
Doing a tool the home made way with out a milling machine is risky enough, doing it out of cold rolled or what ever steel you find at the box stores.
But these are just my opinions, and your mileage may vary. besides you have to decide if the pain is worth the savings!!!

raar25

I have made 4 home made carbide tools and they all work well using 3/8 round CRS from Home Depot. Just make sure you use tapping fluid when tapping the screw holes or you will get to be best friends with dremel tool. I will also say if you are going to use it for bowl turning you should start with 1/2" tapered as necessary, the 3/8" is bending on my me where its notched.

Top Bottom