Crossword Contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Still have until the 5th to get in on the second drawing. The first drawing was for the ones with no other life (LOL!)

Pete275

Down to 2 left. The south American heavy wood is a bear. Any number of woods fit the space but come up wrong. I'm gonna set it aside for now and come back later.

Wayne

LarryDNJR

Ok.. count me out.. Just accidentally clicked a favorite, went to another site and when hitting back to get to the crossword, all my answers were gone. :( sigh

**EDIT** Ok I couldn't go out like that. Fortunately I remembered all my answers and was able to put them in. Glad I have a good memory. Ok 13 to go!! woohoo

Last edited:

Pete275

Anyone have any idea how to go about submitting this puzzle. I've tried every way I can think of with no luck. Spent too much time working on it to let it go. Getting frustrated. beginning to sound robotic HELP!

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
press your alt key and prtscn key at the same time. This will copy the screen to your clipboard. The open a photo program of some sorts. If you are running windoze, you have one already installed under accessories called paint. Once that is open, right click your mouse and choose paste. That should paste the crossword into your paint program. Then save that file and upload it to the entry form. Sorry it is a little difficult but the original plan we had failed for some unknown reason and the crossword software does not have any options for saving the finished crossword from the web. If you have a scanner and know how to use it, I would be happy to send you a blank crossword puzzle that you can print out and then fill out by hand, scan, and send in or even fax to me! trying to make it as easy as possible!

LarryDNJR

Mine should be submitted via the website. Can that be confirmed. Otherwise I can send the screen capture if it didn't make it.

Thanks!

phillywood

Landon, I can appreciate what you did, however some of your info were not clear. Like south American construction wood asclaro or what ever or we love to go there? we love it? "inventor, Stepehn A." when you google it, it won't even come up and you are telling in which world in penturning? tool? general or what?
I am sure that making a puzzle is not very easy, but you got to give us hint when you are taking about" we love to go there" us as pen makers, men, humans, Americans? or WE love it? who pen turners, woodworkers, men, women, humans, Americans.
I googled lots of the qsn.s, but you have to think that you left the people who are out of the country out of this contest, the guy form south Africa would not know about soem of the things we do here if he weren't in US at all. You have to think about other international members too.

Last edited:

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Phillip, The crossword puzzle was not intended to be easy. Landon did a fantastic job with his clues as far as I am concerned. You must not have done very many crossword puzzles. Many of them have very simple clues like this. And there was nothing on that crossword that was US specific. If you have solved it, you would know that.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I just took a look at the complete puzzle again just to make sure and sure enough, there is NOTHING on that puzzle that is US specific. Everything on there is penturning related and nothing more. Crosswords are not meant to exercise your google skills but rather to exercise your brain!

hdbblue

Well, Ive finished this d**n things four times now but every time i try and save it, I lose it, so take your (Brazillian heavy wood) and keep it.

The puzzle does work and all the answers are available.

One evening totally wasted.

Last edited:

terryf

Landon, I can appreciate what you did, however some of your info were not clear. Like south American construction wood asclaro or what ever or we love to go there? we love it? "inventor, Stepehn A." when you google it, it won't even come up and you are telling in which world in penturning? tool? general or what?
I am sure that making a puzzle is not very easy, but you got to give us hint when you are taking about" we love to go there" us as pen makers, men, humans, Americans? or WE love it? who pen turners, woodworkers, men, women, humans, Americans.
I googled lots of the qsn.s, but you have to think that you left the people who are out of the country out of this contest, the guy form south Africa would not know about soem of the things we do here if he weren't in US at all. You have to think about other international members too.

Thanks for the thought Philip but I gave in long before I noticed anything US specific :)
I got half way and then decided my time would be better spent turning for the pen contest than turning my brain into a mushy gooey water like substance :biggrin:

phillywood

I just took a look at the complete puzzle again just to make sure and sure enough, there is NOTHING on that puzzle that is US specific. Everything on there is penturning related and nothing more. Crosswords are not meant to exercise your google skills but rather to exercise your brain!
I respect your opinion, however like I mentioned it was not said that if the subjects are going to be general in nature or trade or hobby specific. Like the Qsn. "we love it" who is "we" pen turners? or "the best go here"? I didn't want to use the google, but given the my age and being new to this trade some of those things had to be googled unless the new turners are not encouraged to get in on this bash, until they got soem experience under their belt. I thought this was supposed to be fun.
And, BTW, this is not anything personal, since Landon and I are friends.
I am sure at the end I'll learn a lot, but thought to give a try anyways.

bensoelberg

I respect your opinion, however like I mentioned it was not said that if the subjects are going to be general in nature or trade or hobby specific. Like the Qsn. "we love it" who is "we" pen turners? or "the best go here"? I didn't want to use the google, but given the my age and being new to this trade some of those things had to be googled unless the new turners are not encouraged to get in on this bash, until they got soem experience under their belt. I thought this was supposed to be fun.

Everyone's idea of fun is different. Some people love doing word searches, while I find them to be a colossal waste of time. Many people find difficult crossword puzzles to be fun. As someone who is fairly new to this hobby/site also, there are many clues that have left me scratching my head, but I enjoyed figuring out the ones that I could. I learned some things, also. I'm hoping to do better on the next one, (maybe even finish it. :)) Meanwhile, I will do the other things that are fun. I'm still plotting out pens for the ugly, beautiful, freestyle, Russ Fairfield, and edible contests. Will I make them all? Nope, but I'm having fun planning. :biggrin:

terryf

I like your spirit!! :biggrin::biggrin:

Everyone's idea of fun is different. Some people love doing word searches, while I find them to be a colossal waste of time. Many people find difficult crossword puzzles to be fun. As someone who is fairly new to this hobby/site also, there are many clues that have left me scratching my head, but I enjoyed figuring out the ones that I could. I learned some things, also. I'm hoping to do better on the next one, (maybe even finish it. :)) Meanwhile, I will do the other things that are fun. I'm still plotting out pens for the ugly, beautiful, freestyle, Russ Fairfield, and edible contests. Will I make them all? Nope, but I'm having fun planning. :biggrin:

roddesigner

I did terrible on it then I tried again later with the boss AKA wife and did a little better but both of us had a lot of fun trying, being a long time member of the loosers club I do it for fun

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator

WONDERFUL Birthday Bash attitude!! Thanks!

randywa

I know my opinion isn't worth much, but here it is. I love a good crossword. I didn't finish in time for the first drawing, but I did get done. By the way, the Sunday Crossword is where I test all the pens I make. I figure if the crossword gets done then the pen must be smart and it raises the price. Landon, what I thought about you halfway through were probably wrong. You done good.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Thanks to Curtis for jumping in and defending me when my contest rules, style, theme, etc. was "challenged". I'm a big boy and have pretty thick skin so nothing said really bothers me. That being said, I would not be true to myself if I did not weigh in on the matter. The puzzle was designed to be fun. It was also designed to be hard. Why waste the time creating a challenge that can be googled to death and solved in minutes? Some(much) of the info could be googled, while I put some info in that required good old fashioned "brain power". The idea was to help the ones that did not feel like doing a pen making contest by giving them another contest to participate in during the Bash. Not everyone likes crosswords, not everyone likes pen making challenges, some like both, some may even like neither(not sure why they would join the forum in this case but...........). I'll bet everyone, new, seasoned, young, or old that tried it(completed or not) learned something. This was a part of my plan. Not that I need to justify anything, I'll say this in closing. The Bash is about fun, friends, and appreciating the forum. It is also about supporting Jeff and his admin team for making this all possible. Life is about choices, you choose to do, you choose to not do. If you can accept things the way they are you will choose to "DO". If you think you can't accept it, maybe you should choose to "NOT DO". As always, this is MY opinion, others will certainly feel otherwise. Remember this..............CHOICES. Now go enjoy the contests and challenges, there are lots of things left to participate in and lots of prizes to win.

Landon

Pete275

Just wanted to weigh in and say that I enjoyed this challenge. I learned some new things and had fun doing it. Now I too am planning out a few pens for the other challenges. To everyone involve in putting together the Birthday Bash I say thanks. I for one am having a blast!

David Keller

I'm mostly just embarrassed that my wife who knows nothing of wood or pen making helped me get 2 or 3 that I was stuck on... sheesh! It'll be a while before I hear the end of that!

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I think the puzzle is a fantastic addition to the Bash and I hope to make it a regular feature. I started, but did not finish he puzzle (If I had I would have not submitted it, it was just for my own fun). I may still finish it but I find too my other things taking up my time.

I agree that the crossword should be challanging. Landon did one heck of a job, and I thank him for his inovative contributon to the Bash.

arioux

Now since many finished it, it's doable :)

If you find it hard, imagine if your speaking language was french !. This one is pushing me to my limits in searching. But when i think of it, isn't what we are suppose to do when we turn pens. A lot of this year bash honored Russ Fairfield. That's what he did all his life, pushing the limit of penturning. I'm pushing my limit too on this crossword. I'm down to 6 left and i won't quit untill the last minute. And i love it. The wife is on it and my daughter. This will practive her google search ability and her english at the same time. :) And the best thing that make me proud of her, she is not quitting even if she know that we will probably never see the end of it.!

Thanks for doing this.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Now since many finished it, it's doable :)

If you find it hard, imagine if your speaking language was french !. This one is pushing me to my limits in searching. But when i think of it, isn't what we are suppose to do when we turn pens. A lot of this year bash honored Russ Fairfield. That's what he did all his life, pushing the limit of penturning. I'm pushing my limit too on this crossword. I'm down to 6 left and i won't quit untill the last minute. And i love it. The wife is on it and my daughter. This will practive her google search ability and her english at the same time. :) And the best thing that make me proud of her, she is not quitting even if she know that we will probably never see the end of it.!

Thanks for doing this.

Yes, that is what it is all about. If any of the INTERNATIONAL community would like to PM me some appropriate "clues and answers" feel free to do so and maybe we can incorporate them into a future contest.

bobleibo

Landon
I hate crossword puzzles because I can never finish them but I am still having a blast with this one. Every time I find an answer it gets me charged up to find another one.
It's amazing what you can learn from this.
Thanks for putting this together.......
Bob

Daniel

I like the idea of a crossword in the bash. I hate crosswords as well cause I stink t them. But still a great idea. Worked on this one three separate times. never even got close. Twas still fun to try. When is the next one?

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Is the puzzle closed yet, and where is the correct answer please?
"This contest will close at 11:00 PM EST on FEB 5th." (Tonight) Entries received after that time will not be eligible for the drawing. I believe the posted schedule calls for the next winner to be announced on Monday. It gives my a chance to gather myself up and get it posted without error.

arioux

Well couldn't do better. But that whas fun and i learned what a deciduous forest was :) I even live in one :))

Thanks for doing this an watch me next year. :))

P.S. For what it's worth, that fact that i was not American or not even speeking english was not an issue to me. Many thing that where not in google where here on the site like Stephen A. inventor (search it on the site and you will find it ) like many other answer. I'm sure that if i could have spent more time and structured my search a little more, i would have finished it. Mabe this could be consider for next year (a little more time) to search or set up a cooperation team :)

Last edited:

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Well, this one is in the books. I'll post the second drawing winner tomorrow. Thanks to all who participate, hope you had more fun than frustration. Here is the Completed puzzle:

Attachments

• Crossword with answers.pdf
    10.6 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Top Bottom