Collet-in-collet

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

azamiryou

This is a tip for when you need a collet size you don't already have, and you don't have the time (or money) to get a new collet. I've been thinking about it for a long time, and today I actually had need for it - so I tried it, and it worked great!

Basically, I just made a custom-size cylindrical "collet" to fit in my 3/4" collet.

1. Start with a piece of 3/4" round stock. I used delrin for dimensional stability, but almost anything will work fine.

2. Cut off a piece the length of your regular collets. This is not a precise measurement.

3. Chuck it up in your 3/4" collet and square the end. If you feel like it, turn it around and square up the other end, too.

4. Drill or bore a hole the size you need. You may want to start a little smaller than you need, then sneak up on it, test-fitting your target piece until you get a good fit.

5. make a cut lengthwise in the piece for more than half its length. I made a simple jig to do this with a hacksaw by cutting a slot in a piece of wood, then drilling a 3/4" hole down the slot (but not all the way through the wood). I drop the tube into the hole, and cut down the slot.

6. turn the tube around, and cut a similar slot from the other end, rotated 90 degrees from the first one.

To use it, chuck up this tube in your 3/4" collet, then put target piece in the tube. As you tighten the collet, the custom "tube collet" tightens on the piece.

Apologies if this is a well-known "trick", but I've never seen it mentioned before.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

juteck

I've seen it used with 4-jaw chucks, but not in a collet. Great idea for those small diameters. Thanks for taking the initiative and doing it, and posting it. Great tip!

Sylvanite

I made similar collets (to use with a scroll chuck) before I bought a collet chuck and collets. I found it better to cut the slots first, compress it in the chuck, and then drill with the minimum size bit you want to hold. That yields a little better concentricity. Also, if you're going to use it in a scroll chuck, mark the orientation so you always align it with the same jaws.

A real machined collet is still much more accurate and secure, though.

Regards,
Eric

jd99

I make collets for custom sizes all the time but I just machine a straight bushing close to or the exact size of the part for the ID, and the OD is a standard size to fit one of the other collets I have, (or I use them in a chuck to keep from marking delicate parts), then I make a cut through one side lengthwise, and cut a groove 180 degrees from that on the other side.

The trick is to not make the wall thickness to thick, (or too thin that it collapses in a chuck, and marks your part).

Attachments

• collet.PNG
    collet.PNG
    85.8 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:

azamiryou

I make collets for custom sizes all the time but I just machine a straight bushing close to or the exact size of the part for the ID, and the OD is a standard size to fit one of the other collets I have, (or I use them in a chuck to keep from marking delicate parts), then I make a cut through one side lengthwise, and cut a groove 180 degrees from that on the other side.

That may be simpler to make than mine. No jig required, anyway. (With the jig, mine is pretty quick.)

azamiryou

Here are some photos of the tube ("inner collet"? "collet liner"?), the jig for cutting slots in the tube, and the tube mounted in my collet chuck holding a work piece.

Attachments

• collet-liner.jpg
    collet-liner.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 215
  • collet-liner-jig.jpg
    collet-liner-jig.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 246
  • collet-liner-mounted.jpg
    collet-liner-mounted.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 217
Top Bottom