Need quick help on a purchase decision

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

brownsfn2

I have a chance to get a 10-12 year old delta 14" 1HP band saw for $250.

I have been saving for a Grizzly G0555 14" Band saw and will be at my goal next month.

So I guess I need help with deciding whether or not the Delta model is a better model for the price. The guy I talked to on the phone about it said it did not have a fence so I would need to find a fence for it and I am not sure what shape the tires are in. He was not very helpful with a model number. He said it was this: 88f34914. I have never seen a Delta model number like that. He also said the Delta model he has was American made before Delta started going to overseas manufacturers.

Another thing I don't know much about is the guides. They are blocks and the Grizzly has bearings. I am not sure which is better.

Do you guys think the delta is a better deal of should I stick with the Grizzly?

Thanks for any quick help!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Tell him you will give him $200 for it since you will need new cool blocks for it.

With the money you save, you can get either the cool blocks or a bearing set.

That is as long as the bandsaw is in good working order.

my 2¢

IPD_Mr

Food For Thought:

Some of the better add ons for a band saw are the Carter guides. They are not cheap and they also make a great magnetic fence. I would try to buy the Delta for $200, put on new urithane tires, add the Carter guides and fence and I think you would be more happy than a brand new Grizzley.

My 0¢ because that is what you paid for it. :biggrin:

brownsfn2

Good idea about getting the cool blocks and magnetic fence.

I think that the "model number" that the guy gave me is actually a serial number. I found a website that says the first 2 numbers are the year. So this is actually a 24 year old bandsaw.

Still good? 10 years I am fine but 24 seems really old.

Edit: Actually looks like the model might be 28-245 which is from 1989.

Last edited:

KenV

Bandsaws are about abuse instead of time (except for tires that go bad from ozone exposure)-- and a look is what counts in the final analysis.

True wheels, bearings that are tight, a motor that does not have bad sounds or heat up.

Urethane tires are good investment. Depending on what you are cutting, cool blocks, or ceramic guides may be better == green wood leaves a cleaning job with carter guides but the Carter guides are most excellent with dry wood cutting.

Delta sold open bottom an closed bottom 14 inch saws - closed bottom is a bit better for motor isolation, noise, etc.

Dicker on price if condition is good. Walk away if the condition shows heavy use/abuse.

nativewooder

Unless you have no transportation, don't buy it until you have seen it in person. Then you can make a more realistic offer. There's nothing like plugging it in and seeing if it runs! DAMHIKT!:eek:

Justturnin

I have a early 90's Delta and love it. Mine came w/ the upgrades, Carter Rollers Top & Bottom, Urethane Tires and Riser Block. I paid $500 for mine in like new shape and feel it is worth every penny. The biggest concern I would have on yours is to make sure the Riser is available or that the current riser will fit. You have no idea how fast you will outgrow a 6" resaw cap. I can't say don't go with the Grizz but I can say if you go w/ the Delta you will be happy, or at least I am.

Only down fall w/ the Dust Collection on the Delta. I ended up cutting a 4" hole in the door and installing a dust port there.

Wildman

Choice between new and used bandsaw hard question to answer need to know something about you and your needs and wants. G0555 owners can relate our experiences. Already said you need to go see this Delta bandsaw, brand and price do not make it a good or bad buy.

Older Delta bandsaw American made in good condition actually better op than newer models made in Taiwan or China. Condition and smooth operation only thing that matters regardless of where made.

Sometimes use my homemade pen blank, re-saw sleds more than factory fence. Homemade miter sleds also a good op.

Blade guide bearing and pain to clean after cutting wet wood. After eight years of use on my second set of thrust bearings, and third set of guide bearings. Had to replace bearing support bracket & cap screw, spring and put on set of urethane tires.

Cool block might actually better if using 1/8", 3/16", or ¼ "bandsaw blades. At one time G0555 owners were swapping their blade guide bearings for cool blocks so could run smaller blades. They modified their bandsaws buying parts from Grizzly from another model 14" BS. Not sure can or folks still doing that.

If money a real issue check out Porter Cable Bandsaw at Lowes or Rigid at Home Depot.

AlanZ

"Only down fall w/ the Dust Collection on the Delta. I ended up cutting a 4" hole in the door and installing a dust port there. "

I did the same on my Delta bandsaw.
I also installed the riser kit.

Mine is one of the last USA made Delta 14" 1 hp saws... I have no complaints.

Top Bottom