Collet chuck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gethenet

I have a pin chuck mounted into a collet chuck. Problem I am having is it starts working its way out of the head stock during turning. Is there a secret to keeping this in the headstock? It's a mt2

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Drawbar: I would never use an MT2 tool in the headstock (spinning) without being held in place with a drawbar.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I have a pin chuck mounted into a collet chuck. Problem I am having is it starts working its way out of the head stock during turning. Is there a secret to keeping this in the headstock? It's a mt2

Last edited:

duncsuss

What I did to solve this problem was make a drawbar -- simply a length of threaded rod that passes through the headstock and screws into the tail end of the Morse taper on the collet chuck.

On the outboard side of the headstock, I put a threaded handle.

IMAG0302.jpg

IMAG0303.jpg

IMAG0304.jpg

Gethenet

To tell you the truth, I never even looked to see if the chuck was threaded. Shop us 40 min away, so I can't run and check at this moment:biggrin:

Are most of them threaded?

duncsuss

I don't know about the rest of them, but the one that Woodcraft sells is.

IMO, any MT device that's expected to be used without pressure from the tailstock ought to have a drawbar to hold it in the drive shaft.

(You can sometimes get away with it so long as all your cuts are made towards the headstock, but it's not safe practice.)

Top Bottom