Minor Tool Gloat

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Smith

Like many folks here on IAP, I also do some flat work when I get shop time. I have been looking for a small drum sander for my shop (aka garage) and lucked out on Craig's list yesterday. I found a Performax 16-32 Drum Sander in very good condition for $150:biggrin: It came with a stand and a number of rolls of sandpaper as well. The guy was cleaning out his shop and he had upgraded to a larger drum sander a few years ago and no longer needed this one. When I went to pick it up today, the seller told me that he had listed it about 10 minutes before I called and he received so many calls immediately after we hung up that he had to pull the ad. It just goes to show you, even a blind pig finds an acorn once in a while:tongue: This is not my photo, I had to get mine new machine under cover ASAP due to pending rain so I captured a photo to show the same machine.

Jim Smith

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Turned Around

Holy crap! that's a great deal. I've been looking for a good deal with a sander that size for some time now. Congrats on the addition tot he shop.

jfoh

You did well. I love looking at Craigslist for bargains. My basic rule of thumb is to buy like new stuff for half off original price. I take cash and make my offer. If refused, I thank them and go about my way. I never dicker or talk stuff down. Set a price and ask if that is good for them. Most times they will take the money and be glad to close out the transaction. Also never forget to ask what else you have to sell. I bought a barn full of rough cut lumber that way. Ended up with seven trailer loads of wood for pennies per board foot.

LeeR

Really nice find! I've wanted a drum sander for years but the high cost has always made me rethink priorities, and talk myself into "waiting until next year".

Jim - Nice score. Excellent price on a real decent tool. I, too, have the Performax 16/32 and I, too, got mine on Craigslist, but not at $150! I used it today while I was making pen boxes. Perfect!

One thing that needs done on that unit is to make sure setup is dialed in 100% spot on. And the one most important thing is to make the drum parallel to the bed. The description of the process is simple but making it happen can be, um, frustrating. Well, it was for me. But stay with it, get it right and you will be a happy camper. Guaranteed.

Top Bottom