Collet Chuck, Need help 7X12 mini lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

I just got both of my new collet chucks. theone for the wood lathe is no problem. My Question is about the one for my Homier 7X12 mini metal lathe. This one is a #3 MT and requires a draw bar. I have never used a draw bar on anyting before so I have really basic questions. First how do you measure for the right length bolt? second I assume the washer for the draw bolt rests against the pipe or whatever it is called running through the head stock and not against the housing itself? Third is the draw bar left on while you use the lathe? Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chuck Key

Originally posted by Daniel

First how do you measure for the right length bolt?

Place the chuck in the MT Taper. Use a rod or dowel that will fit through the spindle hole and insert it through the spindle hole from the back end of the spindle until it stops against the chuck. Mark the rod then remove it and measure the length. Add a half inch or so for the threads and maybe an eight inch for the washer. I should be about 5 inches total. Let me know if the above is not clear to you.

second I assume the washer for the draw bolt rests against the pipe or whatever it is called running through the head stock and not against the housing itself?

Yes, against the spindle end.

Third is the draw bar left on while you use the lathe?

Leave it on as long as it is connected to the chuck. I remove mine when not connected.

Chuckie

Daniel

Jim, I almost had to turn the edges off the head of the bolt I used. it was rubbing on the gear box cover at first. I don't think a wing nut would let me even put the cover on. a bushing that brought the nut outside the box would work though and make it easier to take it on and off.

Top Bottom