CNC Router

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Magicbob

I am getting ready to buy a CNC router.
Been offered a New Wave Piranha for a good price, but wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions or warnings about it or other brands.

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Turned Around

I should be getting my X-Carve from inventables soon, takes a few weeks to ship. I've read and heard mostly good about them. They're cheaper because you have to build it yourself. But the online community and support for it are awesome.

adirondak5

I would really check around Bob , lots of plastic in those New Wave CNC's and unsupported rails , while I don't have one I've read a lot about them on other forums , speed and flex seem to be issues with them . Rigidity in the frame and gantry goes hand in hand with accuracy . I do have a CAMaster Stinger and have a buddy that has a ShopBot DeskTop , both of which I can speak of , but money wise they are quite a bit more than a Piranha . When I got into CNC I saw an adage posted on most of the CNC forums , "buy your second machine first" . I think that could apply to other machines like saws , lathes , etc , but to me seems very appropriate with CNC's

eberlymerle96

I should be getting my X-Carve from inventables soon, takes a few weeks to ship. I've read and heard mostly good about them. They're cheaper because you have to build it yourself. But the online community and support for it are awesome.

Good Choice! Have had the X-Carve for quite a while now. Life got in the way after I got it all set up, so haven't used it much yet, but it definitely is quite the machine! I purchased it shortly after it was introduced and had to wait several months for mine, but it sure was worth the wait!

Any time spent on their forum is absolutely worthwhile...

ohiococonut

Bob,
The Shark line of cnc's are a good entry level machine as long as you learn to adapt to what I'll call their deficiencies. They do flex but that can be overcome by not pushing them beyond what they are capable of. Their operating software is proprietary and you can't change any parameters like you could if you were running mach3, you get what you get when you create a .tap file. There are ways of altering the g-code but it's really not worth the time and effort. It will take patience, but if you're just starting out you'll need it anyway.

A few years ago I bought a Shark Pro Plus HD because it was within my budget since it was just going to add to my woodworking hobby. After learning how it worked and what made it work I found out that it wasn't up to the level that I was wanting to progress go so I built one. It's all metal, much larger and faster and will allow me to do anything I want with the speed and accuracy I'm looking for. As far as I know their entire line all share the same common problems and it might be wise to read up about them on their forum.
The Shark was my first bike with training wheels so to speak and it has sat idle for 2-3 years now. I'll most likely be selling it in the spring to make room in my shop.

Cnc machines still aren't cheap, but a few short years ago we could only dream of owning one. Just keep in mind, once you get bitten by the bug, you may want to trade in the little bike with training wheels for a 10 speed :biggrin:

Top Bottom