Casting Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jmhoff10500

I'm starting to get into casting my own blanks. Maybe i missed it while reading through the forums and library, but I'm confused about the difference between vacuum and pressure tanks. What is the purpose for having them? I know it is to eliminate bubbles, but do you have to have one of each, or just a pressure tank?
My guess is that the vacuum pulls the air out of the resin, and the pressure pushes the resin it into the wood. I don't want to spend a couple hundred dollars based on a guess...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Same tank. You use a pump for vacuum and a compressor for pressure.

What most people here have been using for a tank is a paint pot.
Change a few fittings and you're in business.

Jmhoff10500

Which one removes the bubbles from the resin? i want to do WW blanks and stuff like that, would i need both of them?

BigguyZ

I think for WW, all people reccomend is asmuch pressure as you can output to the pot safely.

Also, I personally recommend warming the resin pior to casting. Some people use the heaters on their ultrasonic cleaners to do this. Personally, I just use a bucket and hot water from the tap. But the warmed resin flows much better and will get into the crevases more.

Travis

Jmhoff10500

Awesome, thanks!!!

I think for WW, all people reccomend is asmuch pressure as you can output to the pot safely.

Also, I personally recommend warming the resin pior to casting. Some people use the heaters on their ultrasonic cleaners to do this. Personally, I just use a bucket and hot water from the tap. But the warmed resin flows much better and will get into the crevases more.

Travis

One of the caveats to all the casting "how tos" each advisor needs to include the resin they are using. Different resins have different properties.

resins in use:
Polyester Resins...
Cast n' Craft,
Silmar 40 & 41,
Polylight,
Cooks Composites swing resins

Polyurethanes from...
Alumilite,
Smooth-on,
Polytech,
Goldenwest,
and the list goes on