Casting blanks with polymer clay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SKEETERPROV

Just a brainfart guys I just thought of an idea of filling the voids of casting blanks with polymer clay instead of resin.... wood has a flashpoint of 572 degrees and we bake poly at 275 degrees ......what do ya think???? :rolleyes:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Might be interesting but you'd have to consider the openness of the wood grain. Would it fill in all the voids the resin can flow into?

Well....the clay doesn't really shrink so I think you are safe there, but a good point none the less. I would be more worried about the adhesion. Polymer and wood don't always play well together. Since wood expands and contracts some the clay tends to loosen itself over time. On the other hand there are some polymer artist out there that cover wood furniture with veneers of polymer. The difference with this being the clay is cured before the lamination.

The second issue I would worry about would be getting all the voids (CSue). Polymer is much different then PR or aluminite with the later two being able to pour and fill every nook and cranny. Polymer clay would leave voids and air pockets that might cause weakening down the road.

With all of that said, try it. Maybe it will work?

Last edited:

SKEETERPROV

polymer and wood

Well it works!!!! Here is a small voided casting blank of buckeye I had recieved from Rocky B and tried it today....I wired brushed the area to be filled, applied c/a on area and put in the poly and baked for 20 minutes..:rolleyes:

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 319

PaulD

Looks fine, but I agree with the caution about wood expansion and contraction with polymer insets. I've done polymer clay wrapped turned wood, kaleidascope easter eggs (with sculpted ducks and egg baskets and bunnies no less!!) in the past and pretty well vowed not to go down that path again.

Jgrden

Skeeter, now why did you put that pen onto that whatever-it-is for a back ground???? I wanted to see what you did and I am not sure.

Top Bottom