Casting Grass

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Buzzzz4

I have a lawn guy wanting some grass cast and turned on a Navigator. I've never done casting. Is this something I can do or should I have someone else do it? Any thoughts?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TomW

Biggest problem is that the grass has to be dry. Casting materials dont like moisture. Would have to dehydrate (like drying flowers) and hope it stayed green. Perhaps astroturf?

Tom

jfoh

Dry the grass and try to die it green for a better color. Will have to adjust the amount of die to get the dolor right I suspect so have lots of dried grass. Might find a died grass material at one of the craft store like Michaels. If you can cast shredded money you can cast grass.

pipecrafter

The craft stores sell silica gel crystals for drying and preserving flowers. I'll bet real dollars that you could use that to preserve the green color of the grass while making it bone dry.

Chief Hill

Wow it's a nice idea but too much work IMHO. At least for 1 pen anyhow. Maybe for a large order.

GoodTurns

***** legal disclaimer *****

all posts in this thread are third hand information passed along from friends of friends who MIGHT know someone who MAY have, at one time or another, gained some insight into the effects of "grass" smoking. ...heeheehee...

Buzzzz4

I found some fake grass at Michael's and am trying it out. Haven't dealt with PR before so we shall see if I learned from the tutorials. I had some left over so I threw in some grass from the yard to see what would happen.

Buzzzz4

Trying this out. Picked up some PR from Michael's (good thing I had a coupon cause that's expensive!) and here's what I've got so far. Hope I'm on the right track. I'm doing this more for my learning than his pen, but if it works...great!

Attachments

• Grass Blanks.jpg
    Grass Blanks.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 295
Last edited:

burgerman

Looks great for a first casting attempt. Nice green color too. Should make some
cool pens. The shorter barrel looks pretty thick. Take care not to turn too deep!

RAdams

Banned
my first thought was...

"That's illegal in Oklahoma".

Speaking of the bracelet helper funny looks, how about the "secret compartment" keychain? I had a friend ask once about a "herbal grinder" as well. It is a little round lidded box with spikes or teeth inside. I told him i could make one but when i told him how much it would be, he backed out. I bet there are lots of "interesting" things you could make with a lathe!

Buzzzz4

Looked at it this morning. Seeing some bubbles of air trapped on the underside. Anything that can be done about this? Or just turn it down to those points and fill with CA?

ngeb528

***** legal disclaimer *****

all posts in this thread are third hand information passed along from friends of friends who MIGHT know someone who MAY have, at one time or another, gained some insight into the effects of "grass" smoking. ...heeheehee...

No one I know has inhaled.

Crashmph

Trying this out. Picked up some PR from Michael's (good thing I had a coupon cause that's expensive!) and here's what I've got so far. Hope I'm on the right track. I'm doing this more for my learning than his pen, but if it works...great!

Looks good so far.:) Good luck with it on the lathe.:wink:

workinforwood

I would say it depends on the size of the bubbles. I would not fill any large voids with CA because it has a potential for turning white and crystally. I'd personally use clear inlace to fill the voids, but you could mix up a small amount of PR with a few drops of Catalyst and wipe that into the holes, wrap the pen with some masking tape so the PR can't leave the holes, then bake in the oven on low. This all being done with the pen just a smidge overturned, so you can re-spin it once repaires are finished.
the fake grass was a good idea. Drying grass, even if it stays green, can turn ugly brown from the heat of the casting process. Of course, dying dryed grass was a good idea though, as that would counter act the cooking problem I think.

RAdams

Banned
I think dry grass would be too brittle to handle. Best bet would probably be the fake grass, or some turf.

Maybe the material the model train guys use?

Buzzzz4

Still in process, but looking good

I've gotten one of the tubes turned. There were some voids due to the grass being too thick around the tubes, but I was able to fill with thick CA and it has come out nice a clear. A few bubbles have hung onto the grass, which I will just tell him it my intention to show it as a freshly watered lawn :biggrin: It has not been sanded and finished yet, but I'm happy with it.

Attachments

• Grass barrel.jpg
    Grass barrel.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 204

JohnU

Eric that turned out very well! I like the looks of the grass material. It looks real! Im sure your customer will love it and probably want more. My advice for casting... after you pour the pr over the blanks, brush them with a tooth pick to force the bubbles out. Then put under pressure. If theres any small bubbles left in the end, you can always try to cover the larger ones with the clip. Nice pen, looking forward to seeing the finished product.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
The craft stores sell silica gel crystals for drying and preserving flowers. I'll bet real dollars that you could use that to preserve the green color of the grass while making it bone dry.
Yeah - this is the key - following instructions to dry the grass using fine white sand (silica crystals) really helps hold in the color of the plant materials.

Try some different types of grass - or you can take a picture and do a label of grass.

I should have read the whole thing. I like your blank. Looking forward to see how he likes the pen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom