Casting acorns...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fat Boy

Okay i have my pressure pot up and running and have a few sucsessful casts under my belt so i am getting brave and trying new things. I read up on worthless wood and have some lumber on its way, no questions there, great articles in the library for that. I do have some questions for casting acorns. Do you need to do anything special to them like stablize them or soak them or what? i would think there would be more to it than just filling them in a mold and pouring PR in there.... i could not find anything in the library so i am looking for some advice before i hurt myself (or neighbor) with an acorn coming off my blank at 3800 rpms...

thanks in advance for the help!

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
The blanks that you see made from "acorns" are not made from acorns but actually the base cap from an acorn. I showed the first one on IAP a couple of years ago. Gather the base caps and then dry them well. Then cast away. Nothing more to it.

Leviblue

Local Chapter Leader
Chris,
Casting acorns sounds like a good idea. Now even though I haven't done them, I would think that you will need to make sure they have been dried out. The moisture in the nut and shell will escape into the resin as it heats up. Water and resin don't mix very well and you may end up with a cloudy look in your resin.
Maybe try roasting them like a peanut to dry them out?

Just my two cents here. Looking forward to the results of your efforts.

Fat Boy

The blanks that you see made from "acorns" are not made from acorns but actually the base cap from an acorn. I showed the first one on IAP a couple of years ago. Gather the base caps and then dry them well. Then cast away. Nothing more to it.

That sounds a whole lot safer and easier!!! glad i asked! flying acorns may not have been fun. thanks for the advice.

Top Bottom