Caribou salami

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rick P

Rick P

We made over 50 pounds of caribou suasages the last two days.....just pulled the salami from the smoker!

Attachments

• Resize Wizard-1.jpg
    Resize Wizard-1.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 239
  • Resize Wizard-2.jpg
    Resize Wizard-2.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 191
  • 420818_535621353131061_1594089310_n.jpg
    420818_535621353131061_1594089310_n.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 198
  • 557578_535621759797687_354844654_n.jpg
    557578_535621759797687_354844654_n.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 200
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rick P

It's denser and richer than venison, bit fattier as well but much leaner than beef.......

It can be horribly gamey.....but I dont care about prime antlers and these were harvested 2 months before the rutt, they were all quick humane harvests and I had excellent butchering help in the field. The meat is all wonderful!

Last edited:

carpblaster

Wow would love some of that, In 1980 while in the military in Alaska,we killed 4 caribou,thought about doing it like deer, wow wrong wrong, so gamy could not eat it,endedup carrying it to a processor and made link sausage and summer sausage, and that was great with cheese and crackers, when single and living inthe barracks, the people i hunted with from church always kept our meat, fish,tarmagan,grouse,Wish i could go back up there dont eat so much you get sick
carpbaster

Rick P

Any hunter keeps and uses the meat.....or they are just a sport killer. You make it back up and I'll stuff ya full of good eats! Gunther and I are going rabbit and bird hunting after school tomarow. Kinda hopin for enough to do ptarmigan poppers!!!

Butterfly breast fillets and salt and pepper to taste. Center a jalapeno half stuffed with mozzarella cheese on the breast, roll and wrap with bacon. Dip the whole beautiful mess in beer batter and deep fry till golden brown....OH man!!!!! Yes I do make my own bacon as well.....my favorite non pork bacon? Beaver tail!!!!!

SteveJ

Can you make a pen out of that?

If I can make one out of moose turds I can make one out of about anything!

Do you happen to have pictures of the turd pen? I think that is awesome! I was in the gift store at the zoo and saw "Elephant Poo Paper" but I couldn't talk my wife into allowing me to purchase some to make into a pen. But who has an Elephant Poo Paper Pen? Apparently you have a moose turd pen, which is probably even better!

Rick P

Can you make a pen out of that?

If I can make one out of moose turds I can make one out of about anything!

Do you happen to have pictures of the turd pen? I think that is awesome! I was in the gift store at the zoo and saw "Elephant Poo Paper" but I couldn't talk my wife into allowing me to purchase some to make into a pen. But who has an Elephant Poo Paper Pen? Apparently you have a moose turd pen, which is probably even better!

I dont.....at the time I was.......well it's was not what I would have wanted to turn! I do plan on making anopther in the spring, for a good friend who keeps sending me god awful gifts! He sent me a pair of xxxl pantyhouse......ya "just my size", how many 6'4" 210 pound women are there? So I sent him a box of cat poo.....things have escilated from there! I'll post a pic of it. Honestly though you cant tell it from the sheep poo pen someone else turned.

Rick P

You folks who want to cast this instead of eating it.....GET HELP!!!! Wow pens are great and all but......

Tell ya what we can have the next IAP meet at my place, pack a tent I have about 4 if you need to borrow one. I'll cook for the week and I promiss you'll gain weight despite having the most active week of your life!!!! Find out for yourself and you will never want to cast caribou again!

PS I am having custom arrow wraps made from a pic of the meat......gonna fletch the arrows with dark purple feathers. They will be so ugly I wont have any worries about them going missin on the range!

warthog

Caribou meat

Take it from me...caribou, when killed at the right time of the year is excellent...I like it better than Moose...but Moose runs a very close second.

Rick P

Mike.......dont forget no sun for weeks to months depending on where you live and LOTS of time with temps well bellow zero. The average stay for a new comer in Alaska is 5 years. I have lost so many freinds over the years that I really only hang with folks who have been here at least a decade. Dont get me wrong I like helping out new folks but I don't get too close.

The best thing about moving here.......this time you pick your family! My circle of friends here is tighter than any family I have seen and all Alaskans jump in when one of us is in need. Towin folks is seen as a responsibility if you have the truck to do it......even folks who dont at least try. This place can kill you.

Rick P

Take it from me...caribou, when killed at the right time of the year is excellent...I like it better than Moose...but Moose runs a very close second.

Every have Mt Goat or Dall sheep? Oh man! There are about 3 months that musk ox is good as well.

NEVER had good Brown bear!

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
You folks who want to cast this instead of eating it.....GET HELP!!!! Wow pens are great and all but......

Tell ya what we can have the next IAP meet at my place, pack a tent I have about 4 if you need to borrow one. I'll cook for the week and I promiss you'll gain weight despite having the most active week of your life!!!! Find out for yourself and you will never want to cast caribou again!

PS I am having custom arrow wraps made from a pic of the meat......gonna fletch the arrows with dark purple feathers. They will be so ugly I wont have any worries about them going missin on the range!
Might just take you up on that offer next summer.

Rick P

Might just take you up on that offer next summer.

Please do consider it. I don't have a huge chunk of land but my place butts up to several thousand square miles of public lands. We had 20 of Tracys family stay with us for a reunion/recomitment cerimony.....it wasn't at all bad.

alamocdc

Mike.......dont forget no sun for weeks to months depending on where you live and LOTS of time with temps well bellow zero. The average stay for a new comer in Alaska is 5 years. I have lost so many freinds over the years that I really only hang with folks who have been here at least a decade. Dont get me wrong I like helping out new folks but I don't get too close.

The best thing about moving here.......this time you pick your family! My circle of friends here is tighter than any family I have seen and all Alaskans jump in when one of us is in need. Towin folks is seen as a responsibility if you have the truck to do it......even folks who dont at least try. This place can kill you.

Yup! And it's one of only two other states I would live in. I do miss it!! And we still have real family up there.

Woodlvr

Rick,
I need 5 lbs shipped to Salt Lake City, Ut so my sons say.they never share their elk steaks with me even:(p. I hope that it helps you stay fed for your short winter heh heh.take care.

Top Bottom