Call All You Electricians :-)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Ok...I learned recently about how much some folks know about electricity, so I expect nothing less than expert advice :biggrin:.

Two Friday's ago, I had power surge. I don't know what caused it (possibly lighting or whatever...I didn't see any lightening or hear any thunder...I am sure that is not evidence of it existing or not). Anyway, the surge was strong enough to set off my computer surge protector -my other computers were not plugged in - so they are fine (as are my computers that were plugged in to the surge protector).

Here's where I need your expertise. The surge ran through my co-ax that leads to my modem (blew the cable modem, modem replaced next day..new modem is working). Unfortunately, the modem was wired to my Roku which is wired to my HDMI ports on my TV. I replaced the Roku with one that was not connected to anything to make sure it wasn't the Roku), and have determined that my 4 HDMI ports are shot (and fixing them involves a replacement of the main board - 232 bucks). I am just going to by a new TV. Here's another symptom: when I switch inputs on my TV among the 4 HDMI port, the TV screen displays, "No Signal". I did get aerial antenna HDTV though. I also replaced all of the HDMI cables.

I am finally getting to the point. What can I buy to protect my coax (cable/Internet) line? I see devices in all price ranges. I just want to protect the line that leads from my ISP to my modem.

Let the knowledge fly! :)

Thank you!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chromey

This is one similar to the one I have. It has a coax protector, and should protect your modem as well. In from ISP, out to the modem. Hope that helps, I use mostly Belkin equipment (router and surge) but have a Motorola modem.

Belkin 12 outlet surge protector

hope that helps :)

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
It won't help your coax, but if you have a Square D panel, you should look into their surge protector. It takes two open slots, and allegedly protects everything on both sides of the panel, according to the fellow who sold it to me...I'm sure that other companies have something similar for their panels.

CREID

Ok...I learned recently about how much some folks know about electricity, so I expect nothing less than expert advice :biggrin:.

Two Friday's ago, I had power surge. I don't know what caused it (possibly lighting or whatever...I didn't see any lightening or hear any thunder...I am sure that is not evidence of it existing or not). Anyway, the surge was strong enough to set off my computer surge protector -my other computers were not plugged in - so they are fine (as are my computers that were plugged in to the surge protector).

Here's where I need your expertise. The surge ran through my co-ax that leads to my modem (blew the cable modem, modem replaced next day..new modem is working). Unfortunately, the modem was wired to my Roku which is wired to my HDMI ports on my TV. I replaced the Roku with one that was not connected to anything to make sure it wasn't the Roku), and have determined that my 4 HDMI ports are shot (and fixing them involves a replacement of the main board - 232 bucks). I am just going to by a new TV. Here's another symptom: when I switch inputs on my TV among the 4 HDMI port, the TV screen displays, "No Signal". I did get aerial antenna HDTV though. I also replaced all of the HDMI cables.

I am finally getting to the point. What can I buy to protect my coax (cable/Internet) line? I see devices in all price ranges. I just want to protect the line that leads from my ISP to my modem.

Let the knowledge fly! :)

Thank you!
Interesting it came through the coax. Years ago, I had a surge in the phone line, (it was lighting struck) and it destroyed all the phones in the house, but (I had dialup at the time) never hurt my modem.
Curt

Lucky2

Tony, a SquareD panel is just the brand name for the electrical box that the electrical entrance wires are fed to. They are what holds the breakers or fuses, to control the electricity supplied to your appliances.
Len

opaquemango

Ok. So i am a cable guy and would say one thing about the surge protectors with the coax in/out. if you are going to go that route then make sure you don't get a cheap one. because the cheap ones will cause problems with your modem signal ( the parts in those are often bad from the store) one thing you might do is go out to your cable box on the outside of your house and make sure that there is a ground going to the ground or power mast of your electrical meter. Other than that i would say good luck hope this helps some.

TonyL

Tony, a SquareD panel is just the brand name for the electrical box that the electrical entrance wires are fed to. They are what holds the breakers or fuses, to control the electricity supplied to your appliances.
Len

Thank you Len. I have one of those.

hewunch

Do you have wifi? If so, it would seem the simplest way would be to use the Roku in wifi mode and not attached to your modem. The ground on the cable box/splitter will help too.

TonyL

Ah...yes I do have wi fi. I never thought of that. Thanks! But my TV is not a smart one (6 years old) and none of the HDMI ports work.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North

mikedealer

Surge Protectors Protect ONLY against surges typically. not brownout and low voltage conditions which can cause damage too.
for computer equipment i strong recommend a UPS battery backup, most (you will need to check) have coax protection as long as a network/phone jack too for protection.

if you use your phone service over the cable modem, and power goes out, you will still have phone service and wifi.

Top Bottom