California Bay Laurel #2

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from kludge77

kludge77

This is bowl #4 for me and the first one with NO CATCHES.

I took this as proof that I had turned it, in case my luck didn't hold and I dropped it on the way to it's oil bath.
Bowl_4001.jpg

It measures 7 3/4 wide x 2 1/2 high

Bowl_4003.jpg

Bowl_4004.jpg

Bowl_4005.jpg

Bowl_4006.jpg

C&C alway welcome and needed. I would like to get better at this. Thanks. I've got a dried chunk of walnut waiting for me this weekend...

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rkimery

Passed Away May 3, 2022
In Memoriam
Nice chunk of wood Pete. Same question as Jon, how might you keep the knot from dropping out or cracking along the grain there? I am a self taught pen turner and I really want to get into bowl turning myself!

Great job with this and good luck with the Walnut bowl piece. Sharpen those gouges first, and just take your time....

kludge77

Thanks!

The piece is actually very stable. It had a few cracks from drying too fast but I filled with CA and it turned nicely.

My main issues with bowls in the inside curve. Once I get that everything else is much simpler. I'm still rubbish with the bowl gouge and all the hollowing on this one was done with a scraper. I'm starting to enjoy scraping. Still I'll try the gouge on the next piece.

rkimery

Passed Away May 3, 2022
In Memoriam
I use a large gouge, a Spindle Master (really sort of a scraper and nearly a skew!) and a round scraper on all of my pens. I like scraping too.

I've been tring to figure out a freaking skew for over two year now. Everybody swears about them. (I swear at mine!) First I bought a cheap off brand skew one to start out if I damaged the tool, no money lost, right? No luck. Much damage; lost wood blanks, then acrylic and a pen mandrel rod before I quit. Still thinking since everybody like them, maybe it's just because it was a cheap tool(?). (IT couldn't be me!) Then at a woodworking show a year and a half ago I purchased a nice Robert Sorby Skew. I call it the destroyer of woods. It nearly cut my pen making carrier short. I placed it in the tool chest over a year ago and it still resides there, with dust. If I was still using it I know I'd be out of pen making. It's a very flustrating tool! I have no problem with a Spindle Master and I cannot come close with a skew? Maybe one day... Sorry that was a story outside this post. Forgive.

I forgot what type of oil used? Is this bowl going to be used for food or display?

kludge77

I totally get what you mean.

I got some good advice two years ago. If you have trouble with a tool in your arsenal, don't give up on it. He said that he made himself use ONLY that tool for a full month. I did this for two weeks with the skew. I destroyed so many blanks. but as I progressed it became easier. I'm still no expert but I'm much more comfortable with it.

I've been trying that with the bowl gouge, but it was getting expensive. A pen blank costs a buck or so. A bowl blank considerable more. I still need to try again. one of these days, it's going to click! :rolleyes:

The finish is just three coats of Danish Oil. I'll probably add a few more. As for it's use. I have no idea. I'll let the wife decide. :)

Last edited:

bensoelberg

I use a large gouge, a Spindle Master (really sort of a scraper and nearly a skew!) and a round scraper on all of my pens. I like scraping too.

I've been tring to figure out a freaking skew for over two year now. Everybody swears about them. (I swear at mine!) First I bought a cheap off brand skew one to start out if I damaged the tool, no money lost, right? No luck. Much damage; lost wood blanks, then acrylic and a pen mandrel rod before I quit. Still thinking since everybody like them, maybe it's just because it was a cheap tool(?). (IT couldn't be me!) Then at a woodworking show a year and a half ago I purchased a nice Robert Sorby Skew. I call it the destroyer of woods. It nearly cut my pen making carrier short. I placed it in the tool chest over a year ago and it still resides there, with dust. If I was still using it I know I'd be out of pen making. It's a very flustrating tool! I have no problem with a Spindle Master and I cannot come close with a skew? Maybe one day... Sorry that was a story outside this post. Forgive.

I forgot what type of oil used? Is this bowl going to be used for food or display?

If you can, find a copy of Alan Lacer's video "The Skew Chisel." He goes through some exercises that will help you figure this tool out. He also recommends practicing with cut up 2 x 4 lumber. That should help keep the cost down.

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Beautiful form and execution.

Once you get comfortable with the bowl gouge, making bowls gets a lot easier.

Try to get your paws on any old 8" - 10" logs and make your own bowl blanks! A good way to practice using a bowl gouge. Another cheap bowl blank is to laminate 6 8" long pieces of 2x4 construction studs. You can make a bowl blank for 1$ to practice on that way. They won't look as pretty as this, but the cheap practice is helpful.

wb7whi

rkimery said:

I too had a problem with the skew. Thought it was sharp...it wasn't. No problems now.

Wayne

Top Bottom