.50 Caliber Pepper Mill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TreeBits

TreeBits

Well, considerably more that .50! 8" Pepper Mill from Osage Orange and Black Cherry. I have more fun with Osage Orange than any other wood.

Attachments

• 8-Osage_Orange_Cherry.jpg
    8-Osage_Orange_Cherry.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 329
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TreeBits

Serious question or a play on words? It's just a whimsical piece, maybe someone with whimsical tastes.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Serious question or a play on words? It's just a whimsical piece, maybe someone with whimsical tastes.

A little of both!!

Handpainted peppermills are offered for sale at pretty steep prices---so you may have a great idea, with something for the "in-home bar" or rec room.

Just wondered if you were "aiming" at a something you identified--or just a "shot in the dark", so to speak!!

TreeBits

A little of both!!

Handpainted peppermills are offered for sale at pretty steep prices---so you may have a great idea, with something for the "in-home bar" or rec room.

Just wondered if you were "aiming" at a something you identified--or just a "shot in the dark", so to speak!!
It's actually not painted. I chose the woods for their similarity in color to brass and copper. People buy the .50 caliber pens and they really aren't all that practical as pens, so maybe someone with the same type of whim or taste might take a fancy to it. Who knows, Could just sit in a box for years - but I had fun making it!

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I think it's great !!! Anything that's unique and nicely made like that, always gets my vote. :biggrin: Well done!!

Phunky_2003

Aviation and war memorabilia/crafts can bring quite a hefty price. Being unique and handcrafted I wouldn't expect to hang on to it long.

That's a fine piece and a great idea. I've made several boxes that resemble bullets, shells and artillery, they usuallynsell pretty quick.

That looks superb.

broitblat

I hope it sells well, if that's what you want, but I'm with you on the priority being fun to make.

I think it's clever and well done.

-Barry

glennw

A little of both!!

It's actually not painted. I chose the woods for their similarity in color to brass and copper. People buy the .50 caliber pens and they really aren't all that practical as pens, so maybe someone with the same type of whim or taste might take a fancy to it. Who knows, Could just sit in a box for years - but I had fun making it!

how did you do that i would like to make one.

TreeBits

I started with a 2 1/2 inch square x 6" turning block of Osage Orange. I turned it round and then drilled the holes (this is a kit from CUSA). I always drill the 1 1/16 hole both from the top and from the bottom so I don't risk the hole running too much off center. Then I turned the 'shell casing'. I re-trued the cylinder and made the shell shape. Next I chose the Black cherry for the 'bullet'. This Black cherry is already very, very well aged as I got it from my Dad who got it from his Dad. So it was nice and dark. I already had a turned cylinder of it about 1 1/2 " so I first drilled the pilot hole for the mill stem and then turned the tenon and then 'cut' it to length (2") with a narrow parting tool. I re-trued this smaller cylinder and turned to shape. The I fitted the Shell with the bullet and re-trued the whole thing. The sealed it and finished it with friction polish. Tom

Top Bottom