Breadboard Farm Table With A Twist (pic heavy)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rtyler8140

rtyler8140

My wife and I have a small 2 bedroom home. We wanted to have a guest bedroom, but also wanted to be able to accommodate overnight guests. My wife came up with the idea, I just designed & built it.

Milling up the top

Routing the mortise for the breadboard

Cutting the tenon for the breadboard

Spraying Poly on the apron framework

Spraying Poly on the legs

Table all finished and assembled

Milling up the rails and stiles for the benches

Gluing up the benches

Gluing up the bench seats

Benches all ready for a trip to the spray booth

Benches complete

Bench top opens up for plenty of storage (put file hangers in the center)

Short legs installed to make table and bench height the same

Inflatable queen mattress on the table/bed

My wife's parents came down after Christmas and we were able to sit down to dinner, then later in the evening converted the table into a bed for them. Worked out great!

bobleibo

I really like the way you tied it all together, especially the stiles and rails benches that double as storage. Great idea.
I did a table like that for someone awhile back that needed to able to be adjusted like yours for a different reason (no benches) and thought it would be a hassle to have to change the entire legs so I ended up cutting the long ones in half and installing hinges and brass clasps like these. Happily it had very little effect on the stability of the table at full height and made it very easy to change them.
P.S.
That is one heck of a shop you have there......lots of room and one can never have too many clamps! I'm jealous

Attachments

• CH24-BRASS.jpg
    CH24-BRASS.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 116

rtyler8140

I really like the way you tied it all together, especially the stiles and rails benches that double as storage. Great idea.
I did a table like that for someone awhile back that needed to able to be adjusted like yours for a different reason (no benches) and thought it would be a hassle to have to change the entire legs so I ended up cutting the long ones in half and installing hinges and brass clasps like these. Happily it had very little effect on the stability of the table at full height and made it very easy to change them.
P.S.
That is one heck of a shop you have there......lots of room and one can never have too many clamps! I'm jealous

I thought about doing something like that as well, but hopefully down the road we will use this as a dinning table in a dedicated room so we won't need to convert it all that often. It's nice to know that it didn't hurt the stability that much....that was a big reservation I had. As it stands, I used wing nuts so my wife and I can switch the legs out in about 10mins.

Top Bottom