Bowl for my uncle

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from gketell

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
This was from in June of 2012. My first turning since last Christmas and my last turning until this Christmas.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Beautiful Redwood Burl from LDubia. It was about 14" across and finished with innumeral coats of Deft gloss lacquer. I gotta find a more "filling" finish for soft wood.

Attachments

• Mudge-bowl-2.jpg
    Mudge-bowl-2.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 334
  • Mudge-bowl-3.jpg
    Mudge-bowl-3.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 342
  • Mudge-bowl-4.jpg
    Mudge-bowl-4.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 331
  • Mudge-bowl-5.jpg
    Mudge-bowl-5.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 326
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

I LIKE!!! Great looking turning. Are you using spray equipment, brush or rattle can? (Rattle can =LOTs of coats on wood like this.) Beautiful work.
Steve

robutacion

Certainly a great piece of wood, well made and finished.

If you had to give it lots of coats to get that shin, you may want to start with a good sanding sealer, let it dry, sand it and then use the finishing coating, that will reduce the amount of finishing cots to 1/3.

Cheers
George

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Thank you all for your nice comments!

Answers to your questions below:
Great looking bowl. I hope you got a core from the middle of it.

A couple of them, actually. The smallest was made and posted a couple of years ago. The middle one is sitting waiting for me to figure out if there is anything I can do with the huge gaping crack in it.

I LIKE!!! Great looking turning. Are you using spray equipment, brush or rattle can? (Rattle can =LOTs of coats on wood like this.) Beautiful work.
Steve

I started with rattle can then switched to brush when the rattle can just couldn't handle the porousness of the wood.

nava1uni

Beautiful bowl. That redwood from Larry was very beautiful. I still have a few pieces left. I have found that using a sanding sealer with it does make a difference. I actually use two applications and let it dry overnight before I apply any other finish.

Top Bottom