Bottle stopper turning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from kevrob

kevrob

Alright, I am finally set-up to turn a few bottle stoppers. Quick question though, for those of you that turn stoppers, do you turn the base so it matches the diameter of the stopper you are using, or do you sometimes turn the base so it is wider than the stopper where the two meet? I plan on selling these eventually, does anyone have experience with what customers prefer, or have you found it does not matter? I have found a few pictures, but couldn't tell from them.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

I make the diameter of the bottom of the turning match the diameter of the metal ring of the stopper. However, I don't try to match the taper of the turning to the taper of the metal ring.

Instead, having matched the diameter, I do whatever I feel like doing with the turning - sometimes it's a taper, sometimes it's a bead, sometimes it's a sphere. You know, kinda like the weather - whatever feels right that day.

nava1uni

I make some that have the end extending past the stopper and most of them are turned to match the diameter of the stopper or I bury the top of the stopper inside of the stopper so that it is hidden and the stopper has a sleek look and lower profile.

robutacion

Is only one thing that I suggest you NOT do there is, turning the stopper in a sharp point or point of any nature...! Bottle stoppers in my view and to be safely workable and functional for the purpose that are made for, should have a round to "mushroom" head. There will be a thousand different designs possible but the principle is that when you use a bottle stopper to seal an open bottle of wine (normally), you insert the stopper in the bottle neck and than give it a "tap" with the palm of your hand.

This is indeed, the most common steps/procedure people do/use when using a bottle stopper, now try doing this with a sharp pointed stopper (handle side, off-course...!):eek:.

After that, your imagination will be the limit...!:wink::biggrin:

Good luck!

Cheers
George

Top Bottom