Bottle Stopper Pricing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jim Smith

Jim Smith

I finished up my first bottle stoppers and plan on bringing them by a jewery store that sells pens for me. I used Ruth Niles SS stoppers and wanted to get get pricing guidelines from you more experienced sellers. What price ranges do you ask for your bottle stoppers?

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide.

Jim Smith

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

I don't sell stoppers, but I've priced them frequently.

Stoppers made with metal cones tend to be offered at prices that range from $20 upwards to around $65. I prefer the Ruth Niles type of stoppers over the giitzy plated versions, but I don't know if buyers understand the difference and are prepared to pay differentiated prices. The variety made from corks go for much less - I've seen them under $10. Wineries tend to sell stoppers at higher prices than craft-type stores.

allisnut

I have been reasonably successful selling the basic chrome bottle cones with nice wood for $25 at craft shows and the local wine shop.

Adam

greggas

$25 - $35 sells all day long for me ( I change based on venue)
I find there is no perceived value in the SS so I tend to go with the less expensive chromes and thus make $4 more per unit

sbarton22

$25-$35 works in the Midwest. I use Ruth's SS stoppers more from the perspective that I have seen the plated versions flake almost immediately, and I won't sell something I don't stand behind or are willing to use myself.

George417

I've stopped making the stoppers. I made 6 about 2 years ago selling for $20 each. I still have 5 of the original 6. They just don't sell.

:frown::frown::frown::frown::frown:

gbpens

I sell my chrome stoppers for $20 in the Chicago market. They, and the wine bottle, put something else on the table to attract customers. Not my favorite thing to turn but it's part of the marketing plan. If you are in a metropolitan area they will sell. Rural, I cannot speak to.

monark88

I started out using Chrome. I had no idea that the wine would interact with the chrome plating. It does. Almost immediately a few began showing small holes in the chrome. I can only guess what the health concerns might be.

I should have kept these for show, but did not. I only use SS. Or did, before I have stopped turning temporarily. Just my 2cents worth.

SDB777

I'm lucky to get $10 - $15 for them here. With swirly acrylic or really spalted wood! Then again, I'm thinking it's more of a north-they sell, south-they drink the whole bottle kind of thing!

Scott (that's on a good day) B

I've stopped making the stoppers. I made 6 about 2 years ago selling for $20 each. I still have 5 of the original 6. They just don't sell.

:frown::frown::frown::frown::frown:

Texans just don't need them... they don't stop at half a bottle....:biggrin::biggrin:

I usually tell potential customers that this is the most "useless thing I make"... usually starts a good laugh (or sometimes a quizzical look) but often leads to a sale.... I think on average I might sell half a dozen to a dozen a month, depending on the venue.

I make both the stainless steel usually from PSI or CSUSA, although I've done some of Ruth's as well, and the silicone stoppers from CSUSA or Packardwoods... I don't like the corks.. they look cheap to me....

I sell the silicone stoppers for $15 each or 3 for $35... the SS cones I sell for $35 or 2 of $60..
I use scraps and woods laying about, so I usually only have under a $1 in costs the little silicon stoppers and about $6-$7 in the metal cones.

Top Bottom