BOGUS CALL/NUMBER

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jcm71

For the past several days we have been getting calls from 315-000-0000. We haven't bothered to answer, nor will we. 315 is an upstate New York area code, but the 000-0000 is obviously suspect. Any one else getting these? BTW, so much for the "Do Not Call" number.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
We started getting these calls yesterday, but from the number 702 999-1234 that shows it's in NV. We got them in the middle of the night (3:30 AM) and I even had one on my support line at work that is not even a person. In my case when you answered you get a recorded massage that your MasterCard has been locked press 1 to talk to a support center.

Every phone number in this town is getting the calls, even numbers that are not people, business, my support line etc. I also got one last week with a guy saying he was from Microsoft and wanted me to get on my computer and give him the MAC address. These are all scams I am sure but I hope the early morning phone calls ens soon...

Mike

tbroye

Got one last week also, told him he reach the Sacramento County Sheriff High Tech Task force and the call was bing recorded, did even phase hime. The is a High Tech Task Force here run by the Sheriff just for these kind of calls, they and the PD are aware of it. I have gotten them before and it is kind to play along with them, they are not the brightest of light bulbs. But I guess the get enough response to make worth their while.

I got a call this evening that I thought my caller ID said was a local call... at the time I was trying to help my wife get up and out of her chair and move across the room to another chair, plus we were expecting a call back from the nursing center to some questions we had called .... anyway, the voice asked if I was interested in going back to college and furthering my education... in rather broken and unintelligible English... didn't listen to his spiel though, just said "NO" and hung up.

PTsideshow

They are using the internet to access a local phone number like Vonage does. Internet phone service works whether both parties have it or not. The other one that has popped up again is you have a ticket in NY state. We are sending a warrant to your local police to pick you up!
I guess in the slum of India, one sucker that sends the money. Is more than they make in a year. So since the calls are free, seems the whole country is trying it lately!:mad:
:clown:

steamshovel

They somehow have the ability to take over someone's phone. When they call it will show as a local number, so not thinking about it being a scam I answer.
Things to help are call blocking
Try not to answer if you do not recognize the number
Put your phone to answer on 2 rings
When they ask for someone not at the number just called say just a minute and set the phone down and let them hang up, they hate wasted time so may remove you from list.
When they call and someone answers they know then there is a live person at the number. So the calls keep coming. If they don't reach anything but a recording your name will go down on their list.
Never hit a digit on your phone when prompted by the caller. It may be an acceptance to their BS.
Just let the answer machine answer all calls not known. They will get tired and may call less often.

I have stopped a lot of calls at my number using these methods

I am also on all the do not call Lists.

walshjp17

In addition to what was said above, if you have an answering machine, let ALL calls go to the answering machine unless the caller ID is known to you (i.e., has a familiar name associated with the number.) If the caller truly wants to get in touch, he/she will leave a message.

And watch out for those Caribbean area codes -- they are almost always a scam. Don't Return Calls From These Area Codes -- It's A Scam! - Forbes.

LagniappeRob

Call Control ... Block Calls with Call Control. Download Our Mobile App for Blackberry and Android Today!
^^ Love this app - paid for the enhanced version (free works pretty well too)

Android, IOS, even Blackberry. It includes a Community Black List that's checks against a database of known garbage callers, your own blacklist, and settings to include bogus numbers as well. Plus if it works with your phone (still experimental but works for me), it will pick up and hang up automatically instead of sending them to voicemail.

Top Bottom