I need the help of a computer guru

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

navycop

I had family tree maker software installed on my old computer which was a HP running vista. I had the family files on an external hard drive. Has long as the external harddrive was on all was good. Then I got a new computer with windows 8. It installed FTM but when I click on the desktop icon with the ext harddrive on, it says something about files being missing. I can check the exact wording when I get home from work..

Last edited:

Hendu3270

Not familiar with that software, but you may just need to navigate to that destination (on the external) in windows explorer and copy the files to your new machine. Could be the FTM software on the new machine just isn't recognizing the files. Not sure why it wouldn't though. But if you do this, you'll find out for sure if the files exist or not.

lorbay

Not sure why it says that but we have moved our FTM through 3 machines now and it said the same thing when we did it. I just made sure all of the info was in my family files a didn't worry about it. We have just added the new softwear for FTM and all was good. The only trouble we have now is syncing on line.

Lin.

Grampy122

FTM

What you might have to do is go to the old computer and with FTM do a backup of all files. You can do it to the external drive. Then on the new computer using FTM do a restore. I think the versions of FTM on the old and new computers might be different and this should ask you if you want to update to the newer version.

Top Bottom