Blank holding for buffing, what do you use?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

philb

Hi,

Just wondering what everyone uses to hold there blanks whilst there buffing them?

Do you just hold the barrel between your fingers, keep on the mandrel or something else?

Phil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Padre

Hi,

Just wondering what everyone uses to hold there blanks whilst there buffing them?

Do you just hold the barrel between your fingers, keep on the mandrel or something else?

Phil

I just use my hands.

JimMc7

Anyone got any pictures of them using there said implements?

<snip>

Not actually using, but here's the thing I use for buffing when I can find it :). Usually find it only after I've flung a blank across the room and cracked it while trying to hold between my fingers :redface:.

Attachments

• IMG_7945.jpg
    IMG_7945.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 233

PTownSubbie

JohnnyCNC sells some delrin bushings (I believe they are called Eliminator) that fit a normal mandrel and hold any sized tubes.

They work great at holding the tubes and you can buff right on the mandrel without fear of metal bushings contaminating your wheels.

So, I use my mandrel to hold the tubes securely...

Mr Vic

UHMW Buffing

I use UHMW Bushings on the mandrel. I'll get aroud to making a dedicated one someday.

How to make. Take a 3/4" x3/4" x"1 1/2" block of UHMW and drill length wise thee same diameter as you mandrel. For a snug fight mine was 1/4". Mount on your mandrel and turn 4 cones.

A big advantage is that the tube ends are expose for buffing (see 2d pic). The 3/4" cone will work for slimlines up to perfume atomizers. I also use these for finishing. The CA doesnt penetrate and chips off or do a quick soak in acetone. Mine are due for a cleaning.:redface:

Attachments

• Buffing-2.JPG
    Buffing-2.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 176
  • Buffing-3.JPG
    Buffing-3.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 158
  • Buffing-4.JPG
    Buffing-4.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 148

Whaler

I use my old mandrel with a set of Eliminator bushings from johnnyCNC. I have it set for the longest blank that I use and just add spacers for the shorter blanks. I also use the same set up for applying CA finishes.

Attachments

• IMG_0205.jpg
    IMG_0205.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 120

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I have an 18" piece of 3/4" dowel with the end six inches turned down to fit the tubes (about 9mm)

Another one for 7mm --same design

This allows me to hold the 3/4" part with my right hand and the upper end with my left.

Also, when demoing this a couple weeks ago, one of the people watching was surprised I used the top of the wheels, he said he uses the bottom. IF you use the top, the wheel is spinning TOWARD you, so it is pushing the blank onto your dowel. IF you use the bottom, it is spinning away from you---trying to send the blank flying across the room. AND there is no room for your hand to hold the tip of the dowel.

Since I have started this method, I have never had a blank fly off the buffer---which used to happen at least once or twice a month. ALWAYS on my best pens, just before they were finished and they ALWAYS cracked or chipped!~!!

OKLAHOMAN

Yep, works great and I have a mandrel that I bent the end that I use....
JohnnyCNC sells some delrin bushings (I believe they are called Eliminator) that fit a normal mandrel and hold any sized tubes.

They work great at holding the tubes and you can buff right on the mandrel without fear of metal bushings contaminating your wheels.

So, I use my mandrel to hold the tubes securely...

rjwolfe3

Ed,
That is a great idea. May try that next time!

I have an 18" piece of 3/4" dowel with the end six inches turned down to fit the tubes (about 9mm)

This allows me to hold the 3/4" part with my right hand and the upper end with my left.

Also, when demoing this a couple weeks ago, one of the people watching was surprised I used the top of the wheels, he said he uses the bottom. IF you use the top, the wheel is spinning TOWARD you, so it is pushing the blank onto your dowel. IF you use the bottom, it is spinning away from you---trying to send the blank flying across the room. AND there is no room for your hand to hold the tip of the dowel.

Since I have started this method, I have never had a blank fly off the buffer---which used to happen at least once or twice a month. ALWAYS on my best pens, just before they were finished and they ALWAYS cracked or chipped!~!!

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
This is basically the method I use. The turned down section is a loose fit on the 7mm tubes and if I hold the dowel a bit off of vertical, the blanks slowly autorotate to ensure uniform buffing all around the blank.

Top Bottom