Craftsman lathes?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MobilMan

I can't speak from experience, but have read many times where Craftman lathes are junk. Myself I would NEVER buy Craftman stuff again--Either hard to or can't get repaired. Why not buy the extension for you're Jet?

Steve Busey

I got my dad's Craftsman lathe when he died a few years back. It's a Reeves drive variable speed, so more convenient than changing belts. Goes from 400 to 2000rpm, which does everything I've tried on it. I've done bowls, platters and pens on it with no issues. I'm still jonesing for a Powermatic 3520B, but it's not in the cards (or bank account) yet. :frown: Meanwhile, the Craftsman spins on.

I've never used it "side saddle" (rotating the headstock) to turn larger pieces, but it should come with the parts to do that (make sure you get all of the seller's extra parts).

There's some play between the ways that allow the tailstock to shift front-to-back about 1/8" when unlocked, which can cause some alignment issues. I've learned to push the tailstock away from me when I lock it down, and all is well.

I do have to pull the Reeves pulleys off maybe twice a year to clean and lubricate, but it's a small cost of doing business.

You can PM me if you have any other specific questions.

Wildman

Not sure you can get parts for that lathe looks similar to Palmgreen lathe have not seen or heard anything about lately. Reading reviews should tell you may get a queen or end up kissing lot of frogs trying to find one.

mrcook4570

IIRC, that is the same as the Palmgren lathe. Several people on SMC bought the Palmgren lathe a few years ago and had quite a few problems with it. Like most things in life, you get what you pay for.

bitshird

The only experience I've had is a friend had one and fried the windings on the motor twice, if you get it I'll sell you a great duplicator for it for 50.00 I paid 125.00 but since my lathes are a 12 in and a 16 inch it won't work. but I'd shy away from it, I think the old pipe lathes were better than this 15 in.

DurocShark

For the money you can buy a MUCH better lathe. Start watching Craigslist or post a want ad here and over at woodnet.

Wildman

I have found two used lathes on CL that might be worth a look, an old iron Delta spindle lathe for $400.00 and PM-90 for $650. Both lathes been restored and worth the money. Have seen a lot junk lathes and folks wanted new lathe prices. You can wait a long time for a great deal on CL.

If you live near a Harbor Freight Store this HF lathe not a bad deal. Think they go on sale couple times a year, not sure about coupons anymore.

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-inch-x-33-3-8-eighth-inch-wood-lathe-with-reversible-head-34706.html

Top Bottom