Big Dog Metal Works? Anyone know about them?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

In my search for a metal lathe, I came across this one.

Big Dog 7 x 14 benchtop Lathe - Big Dog Metal Works

It's a little longer 14" vrs 12" for the HiTorque from Little Machine Shop. Plus it comes with a 4" chuck vrs a 3". And although the pictures don't show it, it says it has a lever lock tailstock.

See what I'm looking for HERE.

I know I could have posted this question in the other thread, but I thought it might help others down the road if they search for this model.

azamiryou

According to mini-lathe.com (a really informative site, by the way) this seems to be a pretty good machine. I will note though that it does not have the brushless motor of the Hi Torque, so it won't have as much low-RPM power. That said, it has high and low gears and mini-lathe.com found it has good torque down to 30 RPM. (The 550W motor probably helps.)

Update: I just read the full review at mini-lathe.com, this sounds like an excellent lathe for the money, especially if the tailstock really is a lever-lock. (The text says it is, but the photo of the entire setup shows one with the same acorn nut that's mentioned in the review.)

Last edited:

BSea

According to mini-lathe.com (a really informative site, by the way) this seems to be a pretty good machine. I will note though that it does not have the brushless motor of the Hi Torque, so it won't have as much low-RPM power. That said, it has high and low gears and mini-lathe.com found it has good torque down to 30 RPM. (The 550W motor probably helps.)

Update: I just read the full review at mini-lathe.com, this sounds like an excellent lathe for the money, especially if the tailstock really is a lever-lock. (The text says it is, but the photo of the entire setup shows one with the same acorn nut that's mentioned in the review.)

Mini-lathe.com is where I found out about this machine. And it is very informative. I intend to call them tomorrow & see if they still use the same motor as the review from 2008. I'll also verify that the tailstock is a leverlock.

Top Bottom