Band Saw vs Table Saw

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

whatwoodido

Originally posted by Dario
<br />For me the most dangerous saw is the chainsaw. That said, I agree that proper precaution (and wearing proper protective gear) makes these tools a lot less dangerous.

I have a chain saw that sounds like a Harley. But I also have chaps, a chainsaw helmet, and I wear eye protection as well.

Although I had already bought the chaps and wore them, I didn't fully appreciate them until someone told me a story about their father and the chaps. The adult son was going out to cut something with a chainsaw with his father. The son asked where the chaps his mother required his father wear were and the father kept saying don't worry about it. The father had resisted getting the chaps as he had been using chainsaws for years and never had an accident. Eventually the father came clean and admitted the chaps had been destroyed when the chainsaw got away from him and hit his leg. The new pair had been ordered but hadn't arrived yet. He made his son swear not to tell his mother what had happened.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JeffScott

I have never seen anyone hurt from a table saw. I have seen people hurt from chainsaws, lathes, and band saws. Every person besides me who I know that has gone to the hospital for injured hands has gone due to a band saw. I picked up the fingers of one guy in High School. One of the guys I bowled with for three years only has 1 finger on his right hand from a band saw. Most people who I know that talk about table saw dangers are not using them safely. How many people that complain about table saw are using all of the table saw safety parts? Splitter, Zero Clearance Plate, and Blade Guard? How many use a sled for cross cutting and cutting small parts?

All tools are dangerous and should be respected. To me a band saw is the most dangerous and will hurt you the fastest.

http://www.woodshopdemos.com/saf-1.htm

Jeff-

stevers

Sorry Pete.[:(][:(]
You all keep giving me more and more tools to choose from. I use a chain saw every day, and yes, they are dangerous. Never thought of a jointer though. I can see that. Slide your open hand across the blades and whammo.

Firefyter-emt

Now that is the tool I HATE using.. The freaking joiner!! Man, the thought of that thing sucking in my hands after it grabs some wood out of my hands... I'll tell you what, that dang thing is what I fear will get me in the end!

Woodlvr

These stories just make me want to buy the new Sawstop table saw. Our rep does the demo with his finger-CAN HE BE ANY MORE OF AN IMBICILE(SP)??? But $3,000 is a lot for that saw for my little shop.

Mike

RogerGarrett

I've been following this thread with great interest.

In 1996, I purchased my first table saw, portable Delta Planer, and a Jet 6" jointer. These were the heart(s) of my shop - which resided in a 1 car garage on mobile bases - and yes - my car was still stored in the garage.

Today, I own a band saw, circular saw, jig saw, chain saw, reciprocating saw, and a 12 inch Dewalt compound miter saw. I upgraded my 1.5 HP Jet table saw to a 3 HP Delta Cabinet Saw, and it remains the most frequently used piece of equipment in my shop today.

I have been injured by kickbacks on the face, stomach, and hand. Every single injury was a result of either being tired and not focusing, or trying to cut corners (impatience). I have been injured by the band saw - it once caught my hand as I was rushing a job. BAD injury - but completely healed now. I have never been injured by the jointer, but I have great respect for it - and I heed the advice of my younger brother who has told me repeatedly that it is the single most dangerous piece of equipment in my shop (based on his experience with the shop guys at his place of employment).

I find the band saw to be limited in it's ability to do what the table saw can do - and in a far more dangerous way. But - there are things a band saw can do that a table saw cannot - both are important tools.

The most important piece of information that can be shared is that, regardless of the tool, they are all very, very dangerous if used in ways that are not in line with commonly followed safety guidelines. Never stand directly behind a table saw blads, don't wear loose fitting clothing or gloves when using a saw, wear face or eye protection (I use a full face shield when milling rough wood such as stumps, logs, branches, etc. because of flying debris). Be smart - it is the operator that causes the safety problem - not the tool. Used correctly and safely - all tools will do the job and last forever without injury. One cut corner, one impatient moment - and you risk life or limb.

Best wishes,
Roger Garrett

stevers

More good points by Roger. But did any of us mention the "Inexperienced" operator? Or even a guy like me that has only several years in the shop. I make a cut that I think will work, becouse no one is there to tell me otherwise. I read a dozen articles in the mags and tips and tricks pubs. But they just didn't cover this one spacific operation. And next thing I know, I get hurt. So, we can't always call it Operator Error, it can also be inexperience.

M

Mudder

I can settle this argument with one sentence and here it is:

The single most dangerous thing in your shop is what you see in the mirror when you brush your teeth; It's also the safest thing in your shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom