How often do tools need to be sharpened?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ashaw

Depends on the material. Sometimes twice while turning a pen sometimes just once before I start turning a pen. Takes no time to get a sharp edge.

Firefyter-emt

Yep, way too broad of a question to answer. Tool steel, material that is being turned, just how sharp you like your tools ect... I have turned stuff that required my tools to be sharpened a few times during the turning. Most of the time it's just a quick honeing. (honeing???)

Dario

I am the odd ball...I sharpen every 20 or so pens, earlier if I have to (read dull tools at that point). I am lazy that way [B)]

Pipes

Originally posted by Ron in Drums PA
<br />I sharpen my tools because they can be sharper,not because they are dull.

You saying yours never get dull ?? I agree I shapen mine because they could be shrper but thats because there NO longer as sharp as they could be and are Dull we may be saying the same thing in a diffrent way :O)

pipes[:D]

Pipes

Originally posted by Ron in Drums PA
<br />We probably are saying the same thing.
My tools never get a chance to get dull but they could always be shaper.

I thought so because mine never get dull either :O) . But I know when they lets say could be sharper .. same same :O)

pipes

Fred

I have always been told that, "A sharp tool works and a dull tool causes one to work harder." In other words, if the tool is sharp you can work a lot easier and have far, far less work as far as finishing goes. For instance, a sharp skew tool cuts cleaner and thus sanding is greatly diminished. A skew that is just a bit dull leave some scratch marks and one sands a bit more.

IMHO, It's up to you to either WANT to work harder and longer, or to sharpen ever so often and therefore get more done in less time in your shop.

My lathe setup has my Tormek right next to the tool head and all I have to do is turn left, sharpen or dress the tool edge, and turn righ back and continue working. And before anyone asks, NO I do not sharpen nor hone my tools 'freehand' I always use the proper jig for holding each tool.

Originally posted by Dario
<br />I am the odd ball...I sharpen every 20 or so pens, earlier if I have to (read dull tools at that point). I am lazy that way [B)]
I am an odd ball with you, just I only go every 10 or so pens. But I do hone my tools a LOT! But, I am going to get some better honing stones to do it "free-hand" since I saw that in a video. But, currently I don't have my own grinder[:I], but I have quick access to one. Don't worry, I am getting one VERY SOON!
Dillon

I don't actually use a sharpener stone on my tools, I touch them to a belt sander before every pen, and sometimes during the pen.. As Fred said, a sharp tool does the work.... a dull tool is downright dangerous... to you and to the work.

gmcnut

Hi all,

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe." Abraham Lincoln.

That said, the "art and science" of sharpening is removing as little of the tool as necessary to bring back a keen cutting edge. If you let it get too dull you have to grind back quite a bit more than if you acted on it earlier when all you needed to do was restore the fine "micro bevel" at the very edge of the tool.

This looks to be a pretty good resource: http://www.antiquetools.com/sharp/

chigdon

The only thing I hate worse than a dull tool is sharpening the tool (bad combination). It depends on the material of course but also depends on the steel. Sorby and Crown (and others) are good of course but if you try Glaser you will notice a definate difference.

Dario

BTW, sharp is relative, we all have different standards. Tools also can dull slower or faster depending on how you use/care for it. The material you cut also play a big role. Tool metal is another factor, etc.

As mentioned earlier, I sharpen when I feel it is needed and I am not set on doing it before each project etc. It is very true that you have to spend time either on sharpening or in sanding...but there is a happy medium for me. Believe me, the wood doesn't know it is the 6th pen or so that I am turning after my last sharpening either [;)]

For me (and this is just ME)...I believe it is a waste of MY time to sharpen a sharp tool. Please note that I am not advocating my style nor questioning others.

chigdon

I would agree with Dario all the way. Find your way and learn what is going on when you are turning by feel. If I say sharpen every 10 pens and someone else says sharpen 3 times every pen then DON'T do either. Do what works for you.

Firefyter-emt

Originally posted by ozmandus
<br />I don't actually use a sharpener stone on my tools, I touch them to a belt sander before every pen, and sometimes during the pen.. As Fred said, a sharp tool does the work.... a dull tool is downright dangerous... to you and to the work.

Chuck, nothing wrong with that, in fact.. My sharpening station is a belt sander! Minor mod to add a DPDT switch to reverse the motor if I need to. (It runs straight up so there is not chance of a catch) Then I made the homemade jig to fit the hole that the table platform would fit into. The works great and never changer size or shape. [;)]

You can't see it, but there is a hand knob to tighten the jig in the base. I do need to build a bolt on adaptor for my skews though..

chisel-jig-5.jpg

jrc

I have a Hamlet 2060 I think and I can turn all day before resharpening. 1/2" spendle gouge cost around $70. Need one for shows where I could not bring my grinder.

arioux

Hi,

I sharpen all the time. Every pen forsure, sometimes 2 or 3 times during turning (specially acrylics).

For a tool, it's not sharp to be dull and not dull to be sharp (Will i go to history with this citation?)[:D]

Alfred

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom