Band Saw vs Table Saw

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

pete00

howdy

Now i know each has its on use BUT my band saw has a different attitude than my TS.

I find myself always using the band saw if i have any choice at all.
Seems to be eaiser and more fun.

I turn on the TS and it goes WRUMMMMMMM GIVE ME WOOD...HURRY MORE ...SCREECHHHHHH..I DONT CARE IF ITS NOT STRAIGHT IM CUTTING
IT HAHAHAHAH kickback bam accross the room.

then

I turn on the band saw and it goes purrrrrrrr, goood morning pete lets make something...saw...saw....your going off the line carful....saw..saw..any more to cut ? No then have fine day....

So the question
Do i need to change my medication or has anyone else notice this.

pete

Firefyter-emt

Yes.. you band saw has be posesed by a cat and is pure evil..One day it will slip a blade and wrap the entire saw blade around you and hand you fron your wood rack to dry. The table saw is your faithful friend!

Dario

I've always used a bandsaw and though it is doesn't cut as clean as a tablesaw...I am very pleased with it. I know I can get better results by using more tpi blade but I don't mind the rough edges. I feel much safer using the bandsaw.

My goal is to get a bigger and better BS in the future. For now, I will keep dreaming.

So you are fine [;)] no need to change the medication...unless I too need medication myself LOL.

JimGo

I bought a table saw and turned it on ONCE. It was so loud, and that blade looked so scary, I turned it off and put it in my attic. My bandsaw and I don't always see eye-to-eye, but I learned my lesson with it early on and treat it with appropriate respect. I'm sure I could get to that point with my table saw too, but I don't quite see the point (yet).

whatwoodido

I use a table saw and a band saw and a radial arm saw for cutting up pen blanks. The band saw defintely has one serious advantage over a table saw, no kick back.

However, a band saw is far more dangerous than a table saw. A table saw blade will kick back your hand should it touch the blade, it will take some flesh in the process as well. The band saw will slice right through any body part that comes in contact with the blade. You can make a quick jig to safely hold a piece of wood on a miter gauge and the table saw is very safe, this can allow you to not have the wood resting between the blade and the fence.

I had a band saw blade break last week, it was a well used and abused blade, and it sank into the piece of wood I was sawing a full 1/4 inch, in an area where I wasn't making a cut. Scared the hell out of me, but no injuries.

Drew

txbob

My father had several table saws in his shop, and I learned to use them safely. I don't have a table saw in my shop, and probably never will. Just too dangerous. After all, this is only a hobby for me.

A Delta 14 inch bandsaw does everything I need, and does it well. The secret to good bandsaw performance is keeping it clean, in alignment, and fitted with a good blade.

txbob

Dario

Originally posted by whatwoodido
<br />
However, <b>a band saw is far more dangerous than a table saw</b>. A table saw blade will kick back your hand should it touch the blade, it will take some flesh in the process as well. The band saw will slice right through any body part that comes in contact with the blade.

Drew,

You are the first I've heard to say this. I read/heard a lot say the contrary though.

Your account on how this 2 saws can do harm sound a bit biased (for me personally - sorry).

I have both a TS and BS. I only came close to an injury once - it was a kickback with my TS. I was tired and therefore a little careless.
If you follow the proper safety rules and have a healthy respect for the power tool you are using the chances of you getting hurt are pretty slim. This also assumes that you maintain them properly.
More years ago than I care to remember my shop teacher told me this - "familiarity breeds contempt".

huntersilver

When I turn on my TS and get the woodworker blade going, it is
pretty scary. I use my bandsaw about 90% of the time, and feel much
more safer with it. Yet, I always have a lot of respect and caution with all of my power tools[:)]

dbriski

I started with a table saw and have had a lot more experience with a table saw than a band saw. I also started and still do other flatwork. I just can't get by the accuracy and cleanliness of cuts made by the table saw. The SCMS is my go to saw for cross cuts, and Table saw go to saw for rips. The band saw for me is just for special cuts, saving wood from exotics, or if my table saw is covered with too much crap and I am too lasy to move it all.

kent4Him

I got a band saw this year and am very glad I did. I can run it whether someone else is watching TV, Talking on the phone or sleeping and don't have to worry about disturbing them. I also feel a lot safer especially when cutting small pieces. My miter box saw is also lonely. There is a lot less saw dust to deal with as well.

twoofakind

I feel that if trained on and used properly, both can be safe. Having said that I have seen both saws do a lot of damage to flesh. Both incidents could have been avoided, but that is how most things happen in a shop, you get in a hurry and take short cuts. My only injury in the shop so far was on a miter saw.
Andy

alamocdc

Originally posted by pete00
<br />howdy

I turn on the TS and it goes WRUMMMMMMM GIVE ME WOOD...HURRY MORE ...SCREECHHHHHH..I DONT CARE IF ITS NOT STRAIGHT IM CUTTING
IT HAHAHAHAH kickback bam accross the room.

then

I turn on the band saw and it goes purrrrrrrr, goood morning pete lets make something...saw...saw....your going off the line carful....saw..saw..any more to cut ? No then have fine day....

So the question
Do i need to change my medication or has anyone else notice this.

pete

Oh, Aannnngggg... somebody here needs yooouuuu! (Heard sing songy)

Actually, Pete, I understand what you are saying (and that's the scary part). I tend to use my bandsaw more, but it may only be b/c it's closer to my lathes. Add to that, my table saw is usually set up for some specific function for flat work and I don't want to take the time to change blades, etc.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by Dario
<br />
<br />
However, <b>a band saw is far more dangerous than a table saw</b>. A table saw blade will kick back your hand should it touch the blade, it will take some flesh in the process as well. The band saw will slice right through any body part that comes in contact with the blade.

Drew,

You are the first I've heard to say this. I read/heard a lot say the contrary though.

Your account on how this 2 saws can do harm sound a bit biased (for me personally - sorry).

ANY TOOL CAN HURT YOU IT USED IMPROPERLY OR WITHOUT CARE AND RESPECT!

Having said I can tell you from my personal experience that what Drew said would be true in my case. Why is that you ask?.......... It would be because I have not used my table saw in a couple of years and I would like to keep it like that. I use my bandsaw all the time and it has biten me when I have failed to show her the proper respect. In short I became complacent and she just reminded me that she does not have a brain and I must use mine.

Dario;

One reason that what you read/heard might give you that impression is because there are hundreds of thousands more tablesaws in use than bandsaws. Just think for a minute, when was the last time you saw a bandsaw at a jobsite building a house? Ever seen a bandsaw in the back of a pickup from your local carpenter? I'm not aware of a "contractor" type of bandsaw.

I would be willing to bet that if you could get an equal survey you will find that if the usage was even more folks would be hurt by the bandsaw because they become more complacent with it..."it's just a bandsaw, It won't ever hurt me". Of course this is just my opinion and it brings me back to my original statement. (see above)

Nolan

Got my BS so I could keep all ten- Only a matter of time cutting 3/4 stuff on TS till you catch one in the face or loop off a few[xx(] Not to metion the tons of saw dust and inability to resaw 12"[:D]
Nolan

huntersilver

I cut a lot of laminated wood sheets. I use a circ saw and the
band saw to cut it. Very heavy material, I would hate to think
what would happen if there was a kick back and I was not wearing
a Colts helmet!

ilikewood

Band saw almost exclusively for pen blanks. First, I don't waste so much wood....Second, on super hard woods it cuts faster!! (Timberwolf 3/4" 3tpi blade)

gmcnut

Hi all,

I always inventory my fingers and thumbs before and after a project. I saw in a post on the archives that showed a fixture someone had made up to cut blanks to length on thier miter saw. I have a couple of small bandsaws which are not in use right now. Needing motors. I would really like to have a Grizzly or Jet 14" BS with a riser block.[:p]

thetalbott4

Each tool has it's place and use. My TS is set up very accurately and with a good blade. It makes incredibly smooth and repeatable cuts. I've never had a problem but am always thinking about what I'm doing and use push sticks and featherboards. I wouldnt use it for small parts however. The very nature of an upcut saw says thats a bad idea. The blade wants to throw small things directly at you. Thats where bandsaws and mitersaws with small part jigs come in. I couldnt do without either one, just depends on the job.

jaywood1207

If you are trained properly and treat the saws with repsect then there are no problems. I have both and use my TS a lot more than my bandsaw and am a lot more comfortable with the TS. My bandsaw is primarily for resawing. It all depends on what you are used to and comfortable with.

To say that one is safer than the next makes no sense. They are both dangerous if used improperly.

Ozzy

I have been a little leary of my TS, after "reshaping" and doing some nerve damage to my thumb last year, but I found a solution. I cut most of my own blanks from branches and that was very nerve racking until I learned about this; hold your wood in one of these clamps and you won't have to worry about wood slipping or your fingers being anywhere near the blade.
20074511540_Wood%20Clamp.jpg
<br />

mdburn_em

I have both tools. I do enjoy turning on my Bandsaw and hearing it hum. I really dislike turning on my table saw, it really does scream. Ich! I have had a push stick ripped out of my hand and flunk across the room...would have been into my chest except I don't like standing right behind the blade. I just don't like it.

I think mudder has a very good point. I hated working around high voltage (5k-70k) when I was in the Navy, but boy, did I take safety precautions seriously. Common household 110 kills far more people in the US because, "it's only 110!"

stevers

I have both. Both Grizzly machines. Table saw is 444Z contractors model and the band saw is the 14 inch ultimate saw.
I like the table saw for accuracy and raw power. The band saw will cut larger and more cumbersome stock, like logs and "chunks" of raw wood.

"THE TABLE SAW IS DANGEROUS" I had a kick back just tonight, and it hurt. And I was lucky.
2007466234_kick%20back%20650.jpg
<br />

Please excuse the disgusting belly surrounding the wound. I felt it was important to show this.

whatwoodido

I have met people that have had run ins with both types of saws. The guy with the table saw injury, lost a kerf widths of flesh near the tip of his finger, the saw blade through his hand back at him. The guys with mishaps on band saws are generally missing a finger. One guy told me his finger was cut off before he figured out what was happening. I use both tools fairly regularly, and I keep my fingers away from the blade on both tools.

Keeping mind a table saw tends to push the wood away from itself as it cuts, the band saw doesn't.

I think the Table Saw is more frightening to most people, but I think the fear it instills makes those using it more cautious. I have seen vastly more stupid behavior when a Band Saw is used than I have seen when a table saw is used.

But honestly I have seem more injuries from lathe usage than any other tool. Most are minor, but they are plentiful. We generally have to give a bandaid to one student in each 6 week class we teach. Most common are clipped by a chuck, knuckle busted tightening or loosening something, and cuts from a tool.

Drew

Originally posted by Dario
<br />
<br />

Drew,

whatwoodido

First thing they taught us in shop regarding the Table Saw back in the 7th grade was never stand behind the blade, because kick back is very dangerous.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I honestly believe that there is no such thing as a dangerous tool or machine. An inanimate object cannot be blamed for injury. It can be used dangerously or left in a condition that an operator is likely to injury himself or someone else.

Also, it is strange that the louder the machine, the more dangerous it is considered. Angle grinders and routers make a hell of a noise and there are loads of people who won't use them.

If a bandsaw wailed like a banshee and the tablesaw was silent, which would you be more afraid of?[?]

vick

I consider a bandsaw a safer machine mostly because the wood is being pushed down instead of back at you. Also though not the machines fault the TS is more likely to be set up to cut several pieces one after another and to me that is the most dangerous thing you can do. The table saw has bit me once though not badly it was an eye opener. I have also had it kickback on me once and though I was not in the line of fire, again a real eye opener. My dad no longer has a finger print on one of his fingers on his left hand after a visit to my shop a couple months ago, though it was his own stupidity.
Which one do I use most well that is a no brainer the TS, any straight cut that needs to be done with any percision I use the TS. The bandsaw gets plenty of work but it is usually for roughing out large pieces of lumber or cutting curves.

huntersilver

I perfer to use my Bandsaw, I feel more comortable. With
the TS I am always worried about kickback. I know if you
stand to the right or left of the blade does not seem to make
much difference. It is wierd using the Gripper on the TS when some of the cuts,you feel like you are alomost over the blade[:0]

stevers

Steve, you are correct. An inanimate object con not cause an injury. It's always the operator. It was for me. I didn't let the blade stop before I tried to push the cut off out of the way with the push stick. My inpatients caused this to happen.

I have both the TS and BS.. use both, but am very careful about where my fingers are... I've actually had more injury, (a severely jambed thumb) from my chop/miter saw by trying to hold down a small log with my hand and having the saw kick it back into the thumb... now I use a clamp on the miter saw too.

I havent cut my self yet and only one kick back from the TS.. and since it hit me in a dangerously low region, I now stand out of the line of fire if there are any more kick backs planned.

bob393

Well you all know that 3 years ago I lost a finger to my table saw and last month I had a kickback and six stiches from it, but that said;
I cut wood with all saws, a table saw, band saw, radial arm saw, chop saw, compound miter saw, hand saw, chain saw, and circular saw, not to mention a jig saw, and reciprocating saw, how about a parting tool. I even cut circles with a router!
Everyone of them will get you if you don't watch out. I am most afraid of the radial arm saw.
I find I can't stack stuff on my band saw so it is usually available to cut things quickly so I vote band saw, this was a vote right?

Oh yeh you don't need hearing protection with a band saw!

This may just spark a poll.

whatwoodido

If it is the most dangerous saw, I agree with the Radial Arm Saw, if it is most dangerous tool, that is the Jointer. You get hit by jointer blades and the damage is horrific.

Dario

For me the most dangerous saw is the chainsaw. That said, I agree that proper precaution (and wearing proper protective gear) makes these tools a lot less dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom