Are Ken and Lou Being Ripped Off??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dntrost

You know it is posts like this this that makes me not want to continue coming back. We here time and time this is a site of cliquey people and if you are not in the clique then you don't fit in. I am here to learn from other and I alway copy what others share it is a form of flattery! Some of you need to think about what you have written here. I know there are as many good hearted folks on this site as there are opinionated jerks! But reading this makes me ashamed to claim membership here!
I thought we all shared what we did and how we did it so other coulld learn and try it theirselves. I guess the fact the individual is trying to make a living makes a differance to some but for me the market is huge and plenty of room for all of us...And this isn't for us to argue it is private between the parties involved!

Daniel

Everyone makes mistakes, This group still beats any other group I have seen on the net up down sideways and in circles. I don't know of any place else I would even suggest something like how a group buy works and not worry about be flammed, harassed and banished. Think about it, "hey send me a couple hundred dollars and I promise a couple months from now i'll get back to ya with some really neat stuff" try that on myspace and see how fast you are being investigated by the F.B.I.
Not onlly that but try posting that you need something and see just how long it takes to have 3 offers for it and I bet at least two are offers to send it to you free. I guesswhat I see in this group is a willingness to give, and give some more and then a reluctance or huge gratitude if you give back. But try taking, even look like you are taking and, let there even be a suspicion of shadyness and lord help everyone. We have built a community of well developed trust and with that also comes a risk. everyone knows about that risk and is willing to defend.
I don't think this was the best thing that could have happened but I don't think it is shameful by a long shot. It looks a lot like friends looking after friends.
Maybe a few ruffled feathers mixed in but I suspect most of us are human so it is to be expected at times.

Issue resolved with Lou Metcalf

I had a long conversation with Lou Metcalf today and the issue can lay to rest now. I have agreed to display the following notice "Jigsaw puzzle pen design by Lou Metcalf, [URL="http://www.heritagepens.com/"]www.heritagepens.com[/URL] " were the Jigsaw puzzle kits are displayed. I also agree not to produce any Jigsaw puzzle pens from colored stabilized woods nor from plastics.

I have also had a conversation with Ken Nelsen today.

I hope every person who was so rude & evil minded could also be that passionate in showing your kind side to others.

The funny thing is that Ken & Lou were very kind and considered people and they were the once showing class. I honor them for that.

Thanks

Grizz

Banned
I am a little confused, isn't there more than one flat puzzle maker out there? Can't there be more than one Pen puzzle maker... as long as they don't duplicate the pattern?

Just a bit confused.

Skye

I am a little confused, isn't there more than one flat puzzle maker out there? Can't there be more than one Pen puzzle maker... as long as they don't duplicate the pattern?

I'm finding myself in the same boat.

I'd rather see multiple people making them but if the design is decidedly INVENTED by one particular person, credit should be given to them in the sales of the items. (so long as he/her is selling them) Then, it's a matter of quality driving who the money goes to.

Similar to Curtis' cactus blanks that multiple people make now, but don't know how much credit he's given.

Similar to whoever designed the first bullet casing pen.

Similar to whoever did the first snakeskin casting.

Similar to Eagle's cross pens.

I know those originators are not receiving the kind of recognition being demanded by Constant, so I don't think this is entirely fair.

marcruby

I've got to hand it to constant. He made the effort to correct a perceived wrong when he actually didn't have to. That's not a behavior I see that often anywhere -- I'm impressed. I suppose I should thank Randy for giving Constant a chance to set us a positive example.

Marc

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Not to fan the flames any further, but perhaps we should reflect a little on what we have done. Ken has done some great things for the pen making community, is generous to this site and for me personally has created some unique things that I treasure. Yet I still look at him as primarily a supplier (albeit a good one) rather than a contributor to this site. How many of his posts within the last 2 or more years have been on topics other than promoting his services or kits? How often has he commented on a pen not made from one of his kits? On the surface it did look like Constant ripped of some of Ken's and Lou's designs and maybe that was not the case. I would have preferred an introduction prior to a classified ad. Perhaps Jeff and the moderators can take a look at the rules for classified ads and not let anyone place an ad until they are members for a certain period of time or after a limited number of posts. It may save our members some embarrassment and make a more pleasant entrance for the newcomers.

laserturner

Hi to all, First of all I'd like to thank everyone for their support. It is appreciated. I first came across Contant's website about 6 months ago and noticed several similarities between between what I was doing and what he was doing. I received an e-mail last night regarding his arrival to the IAP suggesting I might be interested in following the thread. Contant phoned me twice today to try to solve the conflict that has been created here. I told him that there were a huge amount of penturners out there and plenty of room for another laser engraver. I also told him that if he wanted to weather the storm here that he should put together some original inlay kits that hadn't been done before. He agreed with that so I was surprised to see his post today saying that he was leaving. Hope he doesn't. I would like to see what he comes up with. Competition is good.

Gagler

... so I am starting this thread in the hope that it will be seen by more members.
QUOTE]

A lot of you are a piece of work. Do each of you feel better and justified now? I feel like I was re-reading an AOL message board from the mid-90's, flaming left and right with more people piling on, as well as having flashbacks to a bunch of high school delinquents who liked to gang up and beat the **** out of a weaker opponent, usually at 5:1 odds.

Relatively speaking, I'm a new guy here, too; I'm really trying to learn the craft. God help me if I post a picture of a pen in the future without one of you calling me out for plagarism. This isn't the first time in the couple of months I've been around here I've seen the rabid pack jump all over some new guy. What would your neighbors or spouses think of you if they saw your garbage spewed on a message board? Why am I asking that question, as none of you give a %^&#.

Yes, I've had a relatively bad day today but I feel better now getting that off my chest. Flame me all you want here or how a select few of you do it via PM's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom