Alumilite vs. PR

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

biednick

Well, I have been attempting a bits and pieces cast with alumilite. Only 1 problem: I can't get the alumilite to shatter!:eek: I even went as far as to smash it with a sledgehammer, no luck. I tried again with PR, hit the discs with a normal carpenter's hammer, shattered right away. I'm going to re- cast the chunks tomorrow and I'll post pictures then.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ElMostro

Well, I have been attempting a bits and pieces cast with alumilite. Only 1 problem: I can't get the alumilite to shatter!:eek: I even went as far as to smash it with a sledgehammer, no luck. I tried again with PR, hit the discs with a normal carpenter's hammer, shattered right away. I'm going to re- cast the chunks tomorrow and I'll post pictures then.

Alumilite will NOT shatter...it will turn into dust before it will shatter...PR is your best option.

Eugene

clapiana

Hmmmm learn something new everyday I only use pr and didn't know the other 'stuff' doesnt shatter what about chip out etc?

Do you use this feature to your benefit? How?

This just might get me to try it but swallowing the twice the cost of PR has been my preventing factor
Blessings
Craig

workinforwood

Not shattering is a huge benefit, especially in cooler weather. If you drop a pr pen on the floor and it lands on an angle, it can cause the pen to crack. alumilite, could also still crack from being dropped, but the odds are far less due to the fact that it is flexible. so that is the benefit. It is twice the cost, but what if you sell a pen for a $100, it is resin with some fancy segments added in that you were particularly proud of and you likely can never truly duplicate the pen, but now the customer dropped it and it broke. It's been 3 days from sale date. How do you respond? will you replace the pen or refund the money? If you do anything to help out the customer, what has happened to all the money you saved from using PR? Those are the questions to ask yourself. I'm not saying one resin is better over the other necessarily, or not to use PR, but there is definite advantages depending on how the product is being used, as both products have situations where the other will not work as well, so you are forced into which one will work for you...there's a lot of factors to consider and the differences between the two products are many but at the same time you can list all the negatives and positives between the two and come up even in my opinion.

Top Bottom