New Casting Mold

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Seer

Bear with me I recieved this idea in an email from Wood-n-Whimsies and had to try it out. I do not work for them this is my review. The mold is from wally world and makes a round blank at max 3.25 inches long or around there and it is 3/4 of an inch in radius. I poured 8 ounces of Silmar and mixed a few colors and went with it. As you can see in the pics they are stable and the blue bottom snaps on securely and does not leak (important I think) and set up quickly. After about 2 hours I went to check on it and was able to remove the blanks with a dowel and a tap of the hammer and they slid right out as the pics show. If you want the email pm me and I will send it to you but this is a simple and thrifty (another way to say cheap) for me to do this, so I am giving a public thanks the WnW for this great idea.
Oh and for less than $5.00 hows that for a deal.
Jerry

Attachments

• IMG_5332.jpg
    IMG_5332.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 410
  • IMG_5333.jpg
    IMG_5333.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 360
  • IMG_5334.jpg
    IMG_5334.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_5335.jpg
    IMG_5335.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 442
  • IMG_5337.jpg
    IMG_5337.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 431
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LarryDNJR

Kitchen Ware problem, its an ice cube tray :) I have an identical one I was thinking of using, but wasn't sure how well the stuff would come out. I should did it out and try it.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Ice Tube trays.. they'll work for a little while. Easier to handle if you cut them
in half on the bandsaw. (snap on bottoms, too) After a while they start to get
a bit harder to release. But for a few dollars, you can just get another one.
Not all Wally's have them.. I tried finding them when I first started casting and
none of the stores within 50 miles of me carried them. Another IAP member
sent me two :biggrin:
It was nice not having to pour a longer blank than you really needed..
and this was one of the products that got me thinking about making molds
that would save some resin. I could see that the hobby would quickly get
expensive, even with $5 molds..

ttpenman

I've had one of those on the shelf for a long time. Bought it for making ice to put in water bottles but never used it. It's going to get used now!! Great idea. I'm new to casting so this might be a cool way to give things a try.

Thanks for the tip.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Rangertrek

I have been using one of those for over a year now. If you put some "pam" or kitchen spray in the tube, the blanks will come out easier. Yes, they get old and unusable after a while. But, they are cheap.

PenMan1

Good Job, Jerry!
I saw these mentioned in a Wood Turninz article by Kurt Hertzog. I've been meaning to try them!

Thanks for doing this and posting!

PR_Princess

Ice Tube trays.. they'll work for a little while. Easier to handle if you cut them
in half on the bandsaw. (snap on bottoms, too) After a while they start to get
a bit harder to release. But for a few dollars, you can just get another one.
Not all Wally's have them.. I tried finding them when I first started casting and
none of the stores within 50 miles of me carried them. Another IAP member
sent me two :biggrin:
It was nice not having to pour a longer blank than you really needed..
and this was one of the products that got me thinking about making molds
that would save some resin. I could see that the hobby would quickly get
expensive, even with $5 molds..

They may be a great resin saver, but a little birdy told me that there are better ones! :biggrin: :tongue:

When the tubes start to become "sticky", it sometimes helps to squeeze and crunch them together to break the seal to get the PR out. Oh, and a wood mallet for a good whack on the bottom of the mold helps too!

Last edited:

reddwil

You can get them at Bed Bath and Beyond and I have seen the at Dollar tree also. Just wish they were long enough for two piece blanks. I mainly use mine to pour excess PR. They little sections come in handy for centerbands and segmenting.

Last edited:

homemade

Ice tube trays

I bought one and was told to swab the inside out with a 20ga. shotgun swab with kitchen oil spray. I did and had no problem releasing the PR from the mold. I need to get a hold of Newlondon 88. I want to order one of his molds.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom