4th Annual Russ Fairfield Memorial Modified Slim line contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

Yes, pacing is acceptable. But, if you are in the Northern Hemisphere it must be in circles clockwise. If you are in the Southern Hemisphere (you aren't, but for completeness I'm explaining the whole rule....or in case you take a business trip before the contest wraps up) the pacing must be in circles counterclockwise.

If you are smack on the equator, you just stand there and sweat.

Ed

Ed McDonnell

Today was apparently either a good pen making day or a good pen photography day. We've had a flurry of entries just come in.

Too bad they came in too late to be included in the teaser photo I posted elsewhere. Maybe I'll do another teaser photo tomorrow (after I clean that pesky fingerprint off the lens).

Don't know what I'm talking about???? Make sure you check all the threads in the

4th Annual Russ Fairfield Memorial Modified Slimline Contest Generously Sponsored by: Brooks Blanks

forum to insure you don't miss any of the fun (or what sometimes is passed off as fun:wink:).

Ed

Brian G

I'd be fine with standing smack on the Equator right about now. It's 11 °F tonight, which is at least 22 °F warmer than it was when I went to work this morning.

Pacing will at least keep me warm.

Ed McDonnell

Looking at the positive side of things, the humidity is probably pretty low up there right now. If it's not, then you really are in a tough spot. Freezing cold and high humidity, isn't that what they call that ice fog stuff?

Ed

Ed McDonnell

We have huge white piles down here as well. Most people call them sand dunes and they tend to have sea oats growing out of them.

Ed

Ed McDonnell

Given the number of entries and only 5 to vote on, I guess we'll never see the majority of the entries.

See what happens when you don't read all the posts!!! You miss out on a lot of the fun, plus you also miss out on rule changes.

When Mike convinced me to step up and help with this contest, we agreed that we wouldn't be using judges. Instead there will be two polls. The first will show all entries and will be to narrow the field down to the final five.

The second poll will choose the prize winners from the final five. (See the fifth post in this thread for the official notification of this rule change).

I may want to rethink the number included in the second poll. A final 5 makes sense to me when there are 3 prizes. That way you have two who don't get on the medal podium, and nobody is singled out. With 4 prizes, there's just one of the final five left standing alone while the other four bask in the glory of prizedom. Seems a bit harsh.

Maybe 4 or 6 would be better in the final poll. But for now, the plan is 5.

So, to sum it all up.

There will be a poll with (up to) several hundred entries and all the members will vote for their favorite.

The top 5 vote getters (unless it's 6, 4 or some other number) will be displayed in a second poll where all members will vote to choose the prize winners.

Anyone who would care to nitpick the rules (existing, proposed or yet to be imagined) or any other aspect of the contest should send their picked nits to dustbin254@comcast.net Your email will be processed as efficiently as possible with a minimum of human interaction.

Ed

Dan Masshardt

Several hundred huh?

Seriously though, all the banter here seems to have drummed up more interest. Good job.

I'm glad that I'll get to see everyone else's pens. I like seeing all the variety and the range of submissions.

Ed McDonnell

On the one hand it would be really impressive to have several hundred entries. On the other hand, I probably would have completely dysfunctional hands after typing in a poll with several hundred entries. But I'm willing to do it if members are willing to submit the entries.

We've got a pretty decent number of entries and the quality of the entries is high. But there is always room for more. And 6 days still leaves plenty of time to get an entry in.

Ed

Ed McDonnell

If I'm counting things correctly, there are 6 days left to get a pen entered in this contest.

Are you a brand new member to the IAP? Are you brand new to Pen Making? Not sure you have what it takes to make a pen for an IAP Bash Contest? Let's try this:

1) Look at yourself in the mirror. Right in the eye, not at those extra pounds around the belt that you know you should be doing something about. Right in the eye.

2) Now, say to yourself. "I can do it if I want to."

3) Say it again, but LOUDER.

4) Now check out the links below and take your newfound energy out to the shop and get a pen made. Take a picture or 3 (800 x 600 please) and submit them to the contest.

Here's the links:

Invisible Clip

How to Make A Russ Style Pen

Good Luck!!!

Ed

Ed McDonnell

Are you an experienced pen maker who has given up on making pens from slimline kits? You now specialize in rollers and fountains, kits or custom? Slimlines are beneath you?

Recently published research by Waleed Varhagi from the University of Bagdad had indicated that only 0.001% of the worlds population prefers to write with a rollerball or fountain pen. Writing is believed to have originated in Iraq (Sumeria at the time) over 4,000 years ago, so they know a thing or two about writing.

What's the implication? Remember that last rollerball or fountain pen you gave to a cherished friend or relative as a gift? Remember how happy they were? Chances are, they were just pretending to be happy because what they really wanted was a nice ballpoint pen. What are the odds that they were one of the 0.001% of the people on the planet that really wanted to get the roller / fountain? Not good.

Well, here's your chance to set things right. Make a really nice Russ Fairfield inspired modified slimline pen for the

4th Annual Russ Fairfield Memorial Modified Slimline Contest Generously Sponsored by: Brooks Blanks

and you can kill two birds with one stone.

Bird 1 = you will win a nice box of Brooks Blanks (if you are in the top 4 at the end of the contest)

Bird 2 = you will have a very nice ballpoint pen to give that special someone who was so disappointed (no matter how well they hid it) when you gave them that big clunky messy roller / fountain.

As an experienced pen turner, you can probably crank out a beautiful modified slimline (inspired by Russ Fairfield) in less time than it took to read this post. Turn the TV off tonight (don't worry, the olympics are available on demand and tons of other places in case you miss something exciting (but you probably don't have to worry about that)) and spend 30 minutes (or less) to make an entry for this contest.

I'll be waiting for your entries.

Ed

Brian G

1) Look at yourself in the mirror. Right in the eye, not at those extra pounds around the belt that you know you should be doing something about. Right in the eye.

Ed

Bob Costas tried that, and all he could muster was, EWWWWWWW! LOOKIT MY EYES! MY EYES!!!!

p.s. No birds were killed in the making of my entry. At least that I know of. Maybe a few were horribly inconvenienced and forced to relocate when the tree was cut down.

Last edited:

alankulwicki7

Well I finished two pens tonight (Plan A and Plan B). I'm not 100% happy :eek: with either one but I'm still going to enter one of them in this contest:biggrin:. Hope to get pictures taken tomorrow and then I'll decide which pen to enter.

clieb91

I have a plan "A" and "B" as well but thinking about trying a plan "C" just because. Since we are once again getting whacked by snow here I should have some spare time int he basement to work on "C" and with my daughter for her Entry in the youth contest.
Looking forward to it.

CtL

Ed McDonnell

Ed

Bob Costas tried that, and all he could muster was, EWWWWWWW! LOOKIT MY EYES! MY EYES!!!!

p.s. No birds were killed in the making of my entry. At least that I know of. Maybe a few were horribly inconvenienced and forced to relocate when the tree was cut down.

Ok, no birds. That's good. But did you send any squirrels or maybe a ratcoon to the varmint afterlife (preferably with a downward trajectory)? That might be worth bonus points.

Ed

Attention: All squirrel and ratcoon lovers, don't bother sending me any emails or PMs. You will never convince me that they are anything but destructive, evil, diabolical, menacing varmints that are only good for fertilizer and stew (served only to the in-laws).:biggrin:

Ed McDonnell

Well I finished two pens tonight (Plan A and Plan B). I'm not 100% happy :eek: with either one but I'm still going to enter one of them in this contest:biggrin:. Hope to get pictures taken tomorrow and then I'll decide which pen to enter.

That's great news Doug. I'll keep a light on for your entry.

Ed

Ed McDonnell

I have a plan "A" and "B" as well but thinking about trying a plan "C" just because. Since we are once again getting whacked by snow here I should have some spare time int he basement to work on "C" and with my daughter for her Entry in the youth contest.
Looking forward to it.

CtL

Hi Chris - Might as well try a Plan "C". Just make sure you get one of them entered in the contest. Hopefully the power doesn't go out where you are.

Ed

Who resisted the temptation to make snow jokes because he figures by now nobody in that part of the country has any kind of sense of humor when it comes to snow and ice anymore......:devil:

Ed McDonnell

5 more days. I'm expecting a couple more entries today. We've got a pretty respectable number of entries, but there's always room for a few more.

What about you? Have you entered. Yes? Thank you!!

No? Care to talk about it? Maybe there's something I can say that will give you that tiny little push to help you overcome whatever it is that is stopping you from submitting that entry.

Afraid that you might not be a winner if you enter? If you don't enter, there is a 100% chance that you will not be a winner.

So, what is it that is stopping you from submitting an entry?

Come on, you'll feel better if you get it off your chest. Post away and list all the reasons why you haven't submitted an entry.

Ed

Ed McDonnell

:biggrin:Im involved in ruining the contest! or is that running!:biggrin:

Darn!!! There's that pesky "can't enter if you run it" rule raising it's head again. I think that rule should be abolished.

After noticing how many contests you are running (but definitely not ruining) I have begun to suspect that this is a clever ploy on your part to provide yourself with an excuse for not spending February making a bunch of pens. You're not fooling anybody. Well, at least not me. Nobody in their right mind would volunteer to do as much as you do for the IAP Bash just because nobody else stepped up to do it. There must be an ulterior motive. :biggrin: But what could it be?....Oh wait, that's right. You aren't spending February making a bunch of contest entry pens!!!

Ed

Ed McDonnell

I know you are out there.

I know you are reading these posts, even if you don't respond or "like" them. (good thing they didn't implement the "dislike" button!!!:biggrin:).

I know you really want to enter a pen in this contest.

You know you really want to enter a pen in this contest.

The person watching you chuckle softly to yourself as you read this thread while sitting at your desk at work knows you really want to enter a pen in this contest.

So, what's holding you back. Giterdone. (*1)

Ed

(*1) For those who are not native english speakers and / or who are not intimately familiar with high-brow american theater, giterdone is american slang for the more classically stated "To thine own self be true, and it must follow, as the night the day, thou canst not enter the contest lest first is created a pen".

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Hey! those of you that have made a Russ Fairfield entry, now that you have flexed your muscles and your brain, bring that newfound talent over to the Advanced Beautiful Pen contest and make a pen for my Competition!:wink:

Just dont tell Ed I was trolling his thread for extra entries!:biggrin:

toddlajoie

Hey! those of you that have made a Russ Fairfield entry, now that you have flexed your muscles and your brain, bring that newfound talent over to the Advanced Beautiful Pen contest and make a pen for my Competition!:wink:

Just dont tell Ed I was trolling his thread for extra entries!:biggrin:

And don't forget that you can only enter any pen in only one contest... so no double-dipping, get out there and turn another one!!!

southernclay

Finally goterdone today.....well almost. Turned plans A & B just have to assemble and photograph and see which one gets submitted. Hopefully back in the basement tonight after kids get to bed for the beginner pen entry. This has been a good challenge!

clieb91

It is official my entry is. This has been a great contest, I have learned a lot and look forward to learning more about Russ' design styles.
Just curious does anyone know if the videos mention on his website are still available?

Ed McDonnell

Chris and Warren - Congratulations on getting your entries in for the contest. Good luck.

Chris - I don't know if those vidoes are still available. I do know that a set of Russ Fairfield videos was just added to the Donation Prize Drawing. If you don't get a better answer here, try posting your question in the "Casual Conversation" or "Deals Trades Gifts and Wants" Forum.

Ed

Brian G

How many entries are there so far, Ed?

Maybe this will inspire a run of modified slimlines in SOYP. I know it gave me a hankerin' to do something different with the 30 pack of Slims I bought on sale at Woodcraft a few months ago.

I'm in stealth mode working on a pen one of the other contests. I'm not straying from this banter. It's too much fun to miss!

Ed McDonnell

How many entries are there so far, Ed?

Maybe this will inspire a run of modified slimlines in SOYP. I know it gave me a hankerin' to do something different with the 30 pack of Slims I bought on sale at Woodcraft a few months ago.

I'm in stealth mode working on a pen one of the other contests. I'm not straying from this banter. It's too much fun to miss!

Let's see, if my math is correct (you would never know that I actually have a degree that is sort of related to some sort of math) we have either 17 or 170 entries. They've been coming in so fast tonight that I'm having trouble keeping up.

Ed

Ed McDonnell

It was a fun contest I enjoyed making my pen. It's nice to be able to make something interesting from a $2 kit!

Isn't that the truth! And all kidding aside, people love slimlines.

If I put a group of pens out for people to choose from as gifts I get lots of oohs and ahs over the capped rollers and fountains, but they more often than not pick a slimline as their pen of choice.

Ed

Who notes that he does not get a lot (ok any) pen collectors dropping by the house and results at a pen show would likely be very very different......

Ed McDonnell

I have 17 as a count as well.. 170 you wish.

Good thinking Mike. I don't want to scare people and have them thinking there are too many entries in this contest so that they decide to go for one of the lesser contests instead.

Yeah!! 17....we only have errr....17 entries. Plenty of room here!!!

Ed

Top Bottom