4th Annual Russ Fairfield Memorial Modified Slim line contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

clieb91

I am a bit new here, and have to say this has been a fun thread to keep reading. I am also quite interested in Russ' work now that I have spent a good amount of time reading through his website.
Count me in for an entry.

Looking forward to continuing to read this thread.

Chris L

Ed McDonnell

I am a bit new here, and have to say this has been a fun thread to keep reading. I am also quite interested in Russ' work now that I have spent a good amount of time reading through his website.
Count me in for an entry.

Looking forward to continuing to read this thread.

Chris L

Hi Chris - I'm glad you are going to enter the contest. I'm also really glad you are enjoying the thread. I'll see if I can keep the entertainment value ramped up for the rest of the contest period.:eek:

Ed

Ed McDonnell

I'm new but I'll enter! ... I'm working on a zinger. ;)

Welcome Mark - It's great to see the new members joining in on the fun. All are welcome. Maybe you'll be an inspiration to all the other new members who are just hanging back and lurking.

As a Tattoo Shop Owner, maybe you could do a pen with some really nice tattoo art on it. That could be a real zinger.

Ed

BSea

I'm new but I'll enter! ... I'm working on a zinger. ;)

Wouldn't that be the edible pen contest?:biggrin:

8033066508_7ea1daa931.jpg

Brian G

No matter how many clowns are in this clown car , we can always shoehorn in another one. :clown:

Found out tonight I was trying to press left-handed pen parts into a tube set for a right-handed pen.

Are the blanks Jonathon is donating for right-handed pens, left-handed pens, or a mix of the two? :party:

Ed McDonnell

No matter how many clowns are in this clown car , we can always shoehorn in another one. :clown:

Found out tonight I was trying to press left-handed pen parts into a tube set for a right-handed pen.

Are the blanks Jonathon is donating for right-handed pens, left-handed pens, or a mix of the two? :party:

They are all ambidextrous blanks. It's new feature in pen blanks and Brooks Blanks is the only blank manufacturer to have this new technology. The prizes awarded for this contest will be the first production blanks released to the public with this feature. They come configured for right handed users, but if you turn them upside down they work fine for left handed users. You just have to make sure you push the nib into the correct end when assembling.....at least I think that's what he told me.......

Ed

Ed McDonnell

12 Days to Go. Only 1 pen submitted so far, so you can still lock in one of the highly desirable top polling spots in the voting poll if you act fast. How is everyone doing? Progress reports are always welcome here. Griping tales of the joys and the agony, or maybe reports on what you had for lunch.

Anyone want to share a picture of yourself working on your contest pen (or any other project)? We'd love to see them, just make sure we can't see your contest pen in the picture!!!

Ed

Ed McDonnell

11 Days to go. Things were kind of quiet around here yesterday. Hopefully because everybody was so busy working on their pens that they didn't have time to post.

The weekend is almost here. Maybe those of you with work and family commitments during the week will be able to find some time to finish up a pen for the contest. I'm looking forward to getting some more entries by Monday (or sooner).

I'll be working with wood today, but it won't result in a pen. I'm going to be smoking a big batch of ribs. All the wood will end up as smoke and all I'll have left is ashes. Maybe I can cast them into a blank. I wonder if a rib bone could be used to make a pen for the new antler and bone contest this year?

Eating ribs and making pens. It doesn't get better than that.

Ed

hard hat

got mine done lastnight and submitted tonight. it was a lot of fun and a little bit of a challenge. I strayed away from slims for a while, I think I may be coming back to them for honing of skills.

Ed McDonnell

I started on my pen a week ago but I've been to busy too finish it. I'm hoping to finish it this weekend....

Hi Doug - At least you have it started. You are doing better than me. I'm still working on designs for my entry to the advanced contest. I really hope you get yours done this week. I can't wait to see it.

Ed

Ed McDonnell

got mine done lastnight and submitted tonight. it was a lot of fun and a little bit of a challenge. I strayed away from slims for a while, I think I may be coming back to them for honing of skills.

Hi Brett - Thanks for the entry. Slims don't get a lot of love on the pen turning forums, but the general public (not pen collectors) seem to prefer slims to fountains and rollers by a wide margin. I haven't made a basic slim in quite a while, but getting involved in the contest has gotten me excited about the possibility again. I'm also motivated by family members who are visiting me this week. I offered them some nice rollers and fountains to choose from as gifts. Their reaction was "Those are beautiful, but they are so big. Don't you have any of those really nice smaller ones (slims) like you gave us a couple of years ago?".

Sounds like a good excuse to use up my old slimline kits that are in a box in the shop....somewhere.....

Ed

Ed McDonnell

10 Days to go. It's saturday morning. Perfect time to head to the shop and finish up (or at least start) your entry to the

4th Annual Russ Fairfield Memorial Modified Slimline Contest
Generously Sponsored by: Brooks Blanks

Good luck to all who are working hard on their entries. Those of you not working on your entries, it's time to get with the program and head to the shop.

Ed

Ed McDonnell

That's the attitude Dick. I'll be counting on your entry in the contest.

What about the rest of you reading this (and even those not reading it:)). Why not follow Dick and Doug's lead and head out to the shop to make a Russ Fairfield inspired modified slimline to enter in this contest.

We all turn pens. Everybody loves Brooks Blanks. Why pass on an opportunity to have fun turning a pen and maybe win some very nice Brooks Blanks.

Anybody else working on their entry today?

Ed

Ed McDonnell

9 Days and counting. The entries are starting to trickle in and it is looking like a pretty good contest shaping up. But there is always room for more entries.

Why participate in the contest? Some reasons I can think of are:

1) It's fun.
2) You have the opportunity to try something new (or refresh old skills)
3) You will have a valentines day gift ready to go for that special someone (in case you forget to get whatever else you were planning).
4) If you win you will have bragging rights for a year and you will be the envy of all your friends and foes.
5) You have a chance to win a great prize.

Let's take a closer look at those great prizes (generously provided by Jonathon Brooks) (*1).

1st place gets an astounding $1,797,142.50 Indonesian Rupiah worth of blanks

2nd Place takes home an awesome $204,790 Columbian Pesos worth of Blanks

3rd Place hauls in a impressive stash of $1,514.58 Czech Koruna worth of Blanks

4th Place gets a very respectable $89.5 dutch guilders worth of blanks.

You would have to be crazy to not enter this contest with these amazing prizes on the line. Plenty of time for an entry, but there no time like the present to get one done.

Ed

(*1) foreign currency amounts are presented solely for contest hyping. All prizes awarded will be denominated in USD as outlined in the rules.

Ed McDonnell

8 days to go. This was apparently a very good weekend for turning pens. We got a nice batch of pens submitted to the contest. Still plenty of room for more entries though.

Ed

alankulwicki7

My pen build has been delayed again. I went to Rockler (for the second time in a week) looking for a specific slim line kit and they were out of stock again. Fortunately the salesperson found some at another store across town so they are going to have them shipped to the store near me. I'm hoping to have the kit in hand on Wednesday. Ugh...

Ed McDonnell

Hi Doug - With all the problems you are having getting that pen kit, maybe the actual turning will be problem free once you have it. I hope so. :biggrin:

Maybe you should consider doing a test pen with a different slimline kit. It could be your plan B entry, just in case.

We've had a good number of entries arrive in the last couple of days. But you aren't the only one that hasn't crossed the finish line yet. A couple of others who indicated that they would be entering haven't shown up yet either.

Ed

alankulwicki7

Ed,
That's not a bad idea. I just finished turning the pen but I'm not 100% happy with it yet. I'll have to see how it looks when I get the hardware and assemble it. In the mean time, maybe I'll try another one!:)

Ed McDonnell

Doug - That's the spirit. It's worth doing at least one more for sure.

I think I had 5 "don't like it"s last year before I finished my entry to the advanced contest. I hope I don't beat that record this year, but I'm heading in that direction. :frown:

Ed

Ed McDonnell

Here's a couple possible explanations (key word "possible", not "probable"):

1) I was testing to see if anybody would miss my posts.

2) I spent the day debating with myself regarding the posting of entry pictures before the submission deadline. The rules say no. But the entries are so good, I really want to share them (plus it might add a lot of life to the forum). But the rules say no. Then again I've never been a stickler for the rules. However, I am a newbie as far as being a contest moderator and I am on probationary status which could easily be revoked. Also, I think I heard about one probationary moderator who broke the rules having their thumbs broken. I think I might be able to finish my entry to the advanced contest with broken thumbs, but I'm not sure. Should I take a chance. Stay tuned.....

3) It was really nice weather today and I was 30 miles offshore fishing and there was no internet (or much thinking about pen contests).

4) I was abducted by ninjas intent on preventing me from completing my contest entry and I didn't escape until this evening.

5) Some other outrageous but improbable thing....use your imagination.

So, there you have it.

Ed

Last edited:
Top Bottom