1 gallon of Alumilite vs 1 gallon of pr

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gethenet

Trying to figure out the cost difference between the two. I know you use more pr than you do the same amount of Alumilite........however is it worth it with te drastic price difference?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Trying to figure out the cost difference between the two. I know you use more pr than you do the same amount of Alumilite........however is it worth it with te drastic price difference?

You might want to read Curtis Seebeck's (Mesquiteman) posts & watch his videos at Welcome to TurnTex Woodworks! to get a good perspective on Alumilite. I especially like his demo where he drops a pr and an alumilite blank on concrete - that alone was enough to convince me.

Gethenet

You might want to read Curtis Seebeck's (Mesquiteman) posts & watch his videos at Welcome to TurnTex Woodworks! to get a good perspective on Alumilite. I especially like his demo where he drops a pr and an alumilite blank on concrete - that alone was enough to convince me.

I have watched his videos.......and to be honest, I have never had the problems he had with PR....I do like how Alumilite turns, but I can get PR to turn good as well. The pr blank in his video looked to have to much hardener ...it looked very brittle.
I just don't know if Alumilite is worth the price difference.
I'm trying to justify it...

its_virgil

How can a casting (assuming the same size cast) use more of one resin than another? What am I missing? x ounces is x ounces whether one or the other.

Both products are good and both have their uses. Which one you use will most likely depend on what you are casting? Worthelss wood? snake skins? other materials stuck on the tubes? Other materials imbedded in the resin? colored blocks?

Look at what/how you are casting and research which resin performs best for your casting and go for it. I know several who use both because they understand which is the go to resin for their particular needs.

Figuring the cost is not difficult. For example, if a blank uses 2 ounces of resin then a gallon will make 128/2 or 64 blanks. If the resin costs $48 per gallon then the 4 ounce blank costs 48/64 or $.75 each for just the resin.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Last edited:

jttheclockman

How can a casting (assuming the same size cast) use more of one resin than another? What am I missing? x ounces is x ounces whether one or the other.

Both products are good and both have their uses. Which one you use will most likely depend on what you are casting? Worthelss wood? snake skins? other materials stuck on the tubes? Other materials imbedded in the resin? colored blocks?

Look at what/how you are casting and research which resin performs best for your casting and go for it. I know several who use both because they understand which is the go to resin for their particular needs.

Figuring the cost is not difficult. For example, if a blank uses 2 ounces of resin then a gallon will make 128/2 or 64 blanks. If the resin costs $48 per gallon then the 4 ounce blank costs 48/64 or $.75 each for just the resin.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Says it all right there. A+

SteveJ

Do a good turn daily!
Don
[/QUOTE]

Kept looking at this and it seems to me that it should say: "If the resin costs $48 per gallon then the 2 ounce blank costs 48/64 or $.75 each for just the resin."

or...

"For example, if a blank uses 4 ounces of resin then a gallon will make 128/4 or 32 blanks. If the resin costs $48 per gallon then the 4 ounce blank costs 48/32 or $1.50 each for just the resin."

Math is fun!

Steve

Last edited:

its_virgil

Correct Steve ... I it should be 2 not 4. Thanks for catching that.
Don

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Kept looking at this and it seems to me that it should say: "If the resin costs $48 per gallon then the 2 ounce blank costs 48/64 or $.75 each for just the resin."

or...

"For example, if a blank uses 4 ounces of resin then a gallon will make 128/4 or 32 blanks. If the resin costs $48 per gallon then the 4 ounce blank costs 48/32 or $1.50 each for just the resin."

Math is fun!

Steve[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Top Bottom