Southwest Missouri IAP Picnic

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Southwest Missouri IAP Picnic - UPDATE

Well, it's history. 49 folks from six states. See the posts at the end of the thread for latest info. Watch for the photo thread coming soon to a forum near you!

The Southwest Missouri IAP Picnic is set for August 16, 2008 at the Northwood Pavilion at Lake Springfield Park in Springfield, Missouri from 11:00 A.M. until 3-4ish. The Picnic is being sponsored by five IAP members in the greater Springfield area. If you can come, here is what you need to know:

1. Bring your families. This is a family fun event. It is a non-alcohol event (Springfield Park ordinance).
2. Bring a 2 liter bottle of soda (or two bottles if there are a bunch of you). We will provide the cups and ice.
3. Bring two pen blanks for a pen blank swap.
4. Bring any other material you would like to sell, trade, barter! You are on your own for this activity!
5. Lunch will be a barbeque plate (sandwich, potato salad, and slaw) for $5.00 per plate prepared by the multi-championship winning barbeque team "Smokin in the Dark." We will provide food, paper products and eating utensils.

6. Directions from U.S. Highway 65. From Springfield take Highway 65 South (toward Branson) to the Evans Road exit. Exit right and turn right onto Evans Road and go 2.5 miles to the entrance to Lake Springfield Park. (Before you arrive at the park entrance you will go past the coal fired power plant, cross the Lake Springfield Dam around the end of the Lake and go up a slight hill to the Park entrance). Turn right into the park and go 1 mile to the new Boathouse Conference Center. The entrance to the pavilion site is across from the Boathouse (turn left through the gate to go up the hill to the pavilion). For those of you with GPS capability the coordinates are: 37 degrees 06'56.84 N & 93 degrees 15'55.89 W
This will get you to the entrance of the park. Just follow the signs from there.
7. If you want to display items for sell, let us know. We have a limited number of spaces available.

8. The following companies have agreed to provide items for door prizes:

a. Wood-n-Whimsies. Tim and Tracey will have items for sale (including some picnic specials) and will provide some door prizes.
b. Bear Tooth Woods Enduro kits, pen kits, pen blanks, Sierra package (Thank you Ernie).
c. The Wood Gallery, soft sided pen holder/portfolio, five pen kits, and three grab bags of blanks. 3014-B East Sunshine, Springfield (directly behind Burger King) Thank you Ray.
d. Grizzly Industrial, Inc. 6" bench grinder and some hats (Springfield showroom, 1815 W. Battlefield, Springfield)
e. Harbor Freight Tools, Transfer Punch Set (3909 S. Campbell, Springfield) Thank you Dave.
f. Craig Jackson sent us an Easy Wood Tools Ci1 Easy Rougher on a Brazillian Cherry handle with an extra carbide insert (total retail value $137.94). Thank you Craig.
g. Heritance Nibs (DCBluesman) 5 SF nibs, one of each size converter and a pack of Private Reserve ink cartridges. Thank you Lou.
h. Metal Pen Blanks.Com 5 M3 metal pen blanks (winners choice for each one) Thanks Michael.
(see the post on page 3).
i. Hut Products, supply of finishing products, Fulton, Missouri. Thank you Larry.

In addition, there will be door prizes furnished by a number of individuals - Rifleman1776, TowMator, edman2 and Hughbie so far. Plenty of door prizes! We will add to the list of donors as they come in.

f. There will be demos in the afternoon. Jay Caughron will show his hand made street organs (more than 300 hours in each one), Jeff Farris, National Sales Manager for Tormek will demo sharpening tools and Craig Jackson, inventor of the Easy Rougher will be present to demo that tool.
g. We would like to know if you are planning on coming. We need a close estimate for food preparation. Just post on this thread or pm us to let us know and tell us how many.

If you have questions, you can ask on this thread or pm any member of the planning team: edman2, hayseedboy, mikeinmo, hughbie, or woodman928. It's gonna be a lot of fun!

Last edited:

DSallee

The wife and I are going to be there!! Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Freddie, I email'd you on the food...

Dave & Dee

MikeInMo

Bumb-de-bumb-de-bumb...

I think this is going to be a good time. If you decide to come, bring another turner with you or someone who needs to be converted. As Freddie said, this will be a family affair. There are playgrounds at the park, and you (i.e. family members who aren't enthralled with dizzy wood) can rent canoes/paddleboats/etc to explore the James River/Lake Springfield water trail at the park.

We are also only about 40 miles north of Branson, MO so make a weekend of it.

And for the big news....We have it on good authority that it will be no warmer than 70 degrees that day!![8D][8D];)

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
The Picnic date (August 16)is getting closer and we are firming up our demo leaders. We are honored to announce that our first demo presenter will be Jeff Farris giving a presentation on sharpening tools with the Tormek system. Jeff is the National Sales Manager for the United States for Tormek. Jeff does major woodworking shows across the country and we are delighted to have him attend our Picnic.

As a special feature, one of our members, Jay Caughron, will show how he makes hand made street organs. He will have one to display and play. It sounds like an old time player piano. About 300 hours of work is involved in the intricate musical instrument. It will be fun to see and play!

We are looking for other demo presenters. If you plan to attend and are willing to do one, please let me know.

If you are planning on coming to the Picnic please let us know. Great Barbeque awaits you as well as interesting information and a chance to meet other penturners. Pm me or post on the thread. It's gonna be a lot of fun!

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
We are going to have some great door prizes from the companies listed in the original post. In addition to those, other door prizes (a selection of pen blanks) will be furnished by hughbie, edman2, and towmater. In case you missed the July 1 post, Jeff Farris, Sales Manager for Tormek for the Uninted States will be giving a demo on sharpening tools with the Tormek system.
We have heard from several that are planning on coming. If you are thinking about it, let us know. We need to know how much championship winning barbeque to prepare! :D

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Just received a box of really nice blanks from Frank (Rifleman1776) to use as door prizes at the Picnic. Even though he may not get to attend he was generous in support of the Picnic with some really nice blanks. Thanks Frank.
Hey Guys and Gals, we are gonna have a great time. Let us know if you are thinking about attending.

low_48

Freddie,
Kinda curious how many people have responded about coming to the picnic. I am thinking about loading the van up with wood and coming down from Peoria, IL. It won't be a cheap trip, so would kinda hope I could cover the gas with wood sales. I did pretty well in Champaign this spring, but we had about 75 turners. I would gladly do a demo, I can talk for hours about woodturning, or wood in general. Any tallies or ideas?

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Originally posted by Hayseedboy

I'm interested!!!

How was the Mall of the Northern Americas?

lr

LOL I'll let you know. Leaving today. The credit cards have been placed in a gallon milk jug and placed in the freezer! :D;)

Hayseedboy

Hey Stephen,

Don't know if your boy plays ball or not but if he does have him bring his ball glove. My two are either going to be throwin' a baseball, football or frisbee or something :)

Looking forward to meeting you.

lr

DSallee

Originally posted by low_48

Freddie,
.... I am thinking about loading the van up with wood and coming down from Peoria, IL. It won't be a cheap trip, so would kinda hope I could cover the gas with wood sales........

Hey low_48... I hope you get to make it, I'd buy some blanks off of ya! Got any Brazilwood (Pernambuco)??

Dave

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
It just keeps getting better! Got this email from Lou (DCBluesman):
"I will send a fountain pen sample pack for you to use as a door prize at the picnic. (5 SF nibs, one of each size converter and a pack of Private Reserve ink cartridges)"

Thanks Lou! That will be a coveted prize! :biggrin: Close to picnic time I will post a summary of all the door prizes in one post so everyone can see them in one spot. It's gonna be a lot of fun!

Last edited:

MikeInMo

All of you guys in OK are more than welcome to join us in SW MO. I didn't want to hijack your thread to mention this.

Since I doubt any of you currently play football, there is even a reasonable chance your bbq won't be spiked with anything nasty. ;) I hope some of you can make it.

MikeInMo

Craig Jackson sent us an Easy Wood Tools Ci1 Easy Rougher on a Brazillian Cherry handle with an extra carbide insert (total retail value $137.94) for the picnic. He also sent several DVDs to give away. Unfortunately, I am too honest to say it was lost in the mail and I never received it.

There is going to be a lot of good stuff there. So clear the date, pack the car, and come see us (just be sure to tell Freddie so we can be sure to have enough food for you)! Only put enough gas in the tank to get here. I understand Springfield has about the cheapest gas in the country, so fill up once you get here.

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
We are down to the wire! If you are planning on attending the Picnic we need to hear from you ASAP. Looks like about 40 folks or so as of today. We need a good count in order to prepare the meals. Check the first thread to know what to bring. And... if you are coming you might want to bring a lawn chair. Plenty of picnic table benches but your own chair might be more comfy!

Great door prizes! World famous food! Interesting demos on tool sharpening and turning snakeskin blanks as well as building hand cranked street organs. Pen blank swap. Things to buy and or sell. WoodnWhimsies on site. It's gonna be a lot of fun!

PM or email me or post here if you can attend.

DocStram

Freddie ....... I would love to come. Is there any chance getting the Southwest Missouri IAP'ers to chip in for a plane ticket? Please make it a round trip from the Atlanta airport.

PS I prefer First Class (after all, I am a first class kind of guy) but would be willing to fly coach.

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Freddie ....... I would love to come. Is there any chance getting the Southwest Missouri IAP'ers to chip in for a plane ticket? Please make it a round trip from the Atlanta airport.

PS I prefer First Class (after all, I am a first class kind of guy) but would be willing to fly coach.

Doc I checked and the only thing I could find was a crop duster (only has to make 15 stops) and the pilot said you could have the front seat at your own risk. :biggrin::biggrin: Wish you could come. It's gonna be a lot of tun!

Boomer

I can't make it this year however if you keep a list of names to start the invitation process please add me to that list. It sounds like a wonderful time. Thanks

cozee

Been trying to arrange things so I could make it down but this time of year it is very hard for me to do such. If I do make it, it will be last minute as I wouldn't know till quiting time that Friday!!!

Hayseedboy

Hey Greg,

You are more than welcome to come last minute! I'll even make sure we save enough food for ya!

Larry

tnick

Just wanted to let everyone know Wood-N-Whimsies is in deep in discussion to come up with some great door prizes.

We are also working to put together a picnic package that will have special pricing just for the attendees.

Thanks!
Tim/Tracey
www.woodnwhimsies.com

MikeInMo

Our weather subcommittee promised us 70-75 degrees (and not 70+75 degrees) that day. We need as many of you there as possible to see if they can deliver.

Top Bottom